iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What I'm doing with our mill...

Started by MSSawmill, November 29, 2015, 11:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSSawmill

I've stayed away from the forum for quite a while, but this is why! All of the lumber you see here between the bottom plate, (treated), and the rafters, (too long), is pine that we cut from trees we harvested on dad's place. I've got a builder doing a lot of the work. Everything you see in the pictures has been done by his contractors. Since these pictures were taken, my dad, my uncle, and even my wife have helped me put the roof on, and dad and I are pretty much finished with the plumbing. Most of the interior will be dad, my uncle, and me. Almost all of the flooring will be oak that we cut, (bathrooms and mud room will be tile), the porch ceilings and the vaulted ceiling in the living room will be pine we cut, and all of the cabinets will be red oak that we cut. Oh, and I'm going to wrap the beams you see on the front porch with 1/2" or so pine so that they look like solid beams. There's a lot of work left to do, so I don't expect to be in it until Spring 2016, at least.

This house was the only reason we bought the mill. It's been pretty awesome to see the trees I grew up hunting Easter eggs around in my parent's front yard transform into the house that my kids will be hunting Easter eggs around one day. This forum is the only reason that we were able to do all that we have done! Thanks to everyone who has helped me with all of my newbie, simple questions. Thanks to everyone who has posted about their experiences and how they've solved their various problems. And thanks to all of the members who have made this a great, safe, comfortable place to come and find help and inspiration!

We've come a long way with this mill "project" from when bought it about 3 years ago. We worked with another sawyer for a little while to see if it was a viable option. We bought a mill we thought was a good deal. We fought the mill and learned a lot and finally decided to rebuild it. We have cut and stacked and dried and re-stacked and had graded and re-sawn and sized and probably a few other things with the lumber. And then I see it going up into my family's house on my land! It's just been awesome!

Thanks again!
Charles

Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

Quebecnewf

Looks like a real nice job. Nothing like cutting your own logs and making lumber for your own home.

That looks like a BIG home. What are the dimensions ? How many board ft of lumber in that ?
Quebecnewf

bkaimwood

Absolutely beautiful... It goes without saying that the "big timber" front gable is the showstopper...
bk

thecfarm

That entry way will,does,look some nice.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Delawhere Jack

Nice job! I like the entrance way too. Good sized house. Plenty of room to raise a bunch of mill hands. :)

brianb88

Measure twice, cut once

MSSawmill

Thanks a lot, y'all! We're excited! And we've got 2 little "mill hands" who have had a hand in every part of the process. I'm proud of the timber frame porch. I love the "lodge" style look, and this is as far as I could convince my wife to go with it! 

Yeah, the house is pretty big. It's right at 3000 sq. ft. heated; about 4000 sq. ft. with porches and garage. 4 bedroom/3.5 bath. It's roughly 86.5'x60.5'. And I can't find where I calculated it, but I believe I've got around 5000 board feet of lumber in there plus the fir and pine they had to buy.

The only way that we're able to afford it is by providing the lumber and doing a lot of the work ourselves. It will be worth it in the end. My dad has said my wife will have an "appreciation for her home that not many women have!" She has stacked and restacked lumber, helped with the roofing, picked up and cleaned up more scrap lumber than she would like to count, and we're not even halfway through the process yet! :)
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

Magicman

I love your family's "yes you can" attitude.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

Does your wife have a sister? :laugh:
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Banjo picker

Nothing like building your own home, especially with lumber you milled.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

2StateTrigger

Quote from: MSSawmill on November 29, 2015, 11:06:42 PM
I've stayed away from the forum for quite a while, but this is why! All of the lumber you see here between the bottom plate, (treated), and the rafters, (too long), is pine that we cut from trees we harvested on dad's place. I've got a builder doing a lot of the work. Everything you see in the pictures has been done by his contractors. Since these pictures were taken, my dad, my uncle, and even my wife have helped me put the roof on, and dad and I are pretty much finished with the plumbing. Most of the interior will be dad, my uncle, and me. Almost all of the flooring will be oak that we cut, (bathrooms and mud room will be tile), the porch ceilings and the vaulted ceiling in the living room will be pine we cut, and all of the cabinets will be red oak that we cut. Oh, and I'm going to wrap the beams you see on the front porch with 1/2" or so pine so that they look like solid beams. There's a lot of work left to do, so I don't expect to be in it until Spring 2016, at least.

This house was the only reason we bought the mill. It's been pretty awesome to see the trees I grew up hunting Easter eggs around in my parent's front yard transform into the house that my kids will be hunting Easter eggs around one day. This forum is the only reason that we were able to do all that we have done! Thanks to everyone who has helped me with all of my newbie, simple questions. Thanks to everyone who has posted about their experiences and how they've solved their various problems. And thanks to all of the members who have made this a great, safe, comfortable place to come and find help and inspiration!

We've come a long way with this mill "project" from when bought it about 3 years ago. We worked with another sawyer for a little while to see if it was a viable option. We bought a mill we thought was a good deal. We fought the mill and learned a lot and finally decided to rebuild it. We have cut and stacked and dried and re-stacked and had graded and re-sawn and sized and probably a few other things with the lumber. And then I see it going up into my family's house on my land! It's just been awesome!

Thanks again!
Charles

MSSawmill,

This is EXACTLY what I have planned for my home.  I'm looking to start my project as early as this upcoming Spring, which gives me just enough time to get a business plan drafted, money shuffled around to several different accounts, machinery purchased, property purchased (up to 50 acres) and cleared in the right locations, and a machinery shop built so as to protect the sawmill and other equipment from the harsh elements of CO winters.

Is there anything you'd do differently if you had to do it again?

Would love to hear more of your first hand experiences with regards to your awesome build.

Jeff
Molon Labe

Thank You Sponsors!