iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

kiln dried firewood

Started by kcmack81, November 29, 2015, 09:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcmack81

At what temperature does firewood have to reach and for how long, to be able to transport it across state lines?  For example, if I could back a load of red oak (cut green) into a temp controlled building, in Michigan. What temp and how long? Then hauling it to say Chicago area, would it be worth it?
Homemade OWB
Homemade 34T wood splitter
Husky 350, 235e
And a Fiskar chopping axe for moral support
94 GMC 4wd, long box wood hauler/snow plower
and she isn't winning a beauty contest

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Many states do not allow an exemption for drying or for species, as inspectors cannot tell species or MC.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

ScottCC

Call your local DEC office.  I'm sure they have the answer.  And I thought it would be worth it if you used a tractor trailer kiln with a 18" live bed in the bottom to load and unload.
Necessity is the mother of invention.  Poverty is its big brother.  WM mp100, WM eg100, WM sp4000 chip extractor,  WM 260 molder on order ,WM electric  lt15 wide with extra track, 71 Oliver allterrain forklift, 26' flat bed trailer, road legal log arch, homemade kiln, AutoCAD lt15

Pclem

We sell kiln dried firewood in wisconsin. We are certified by the state. The requirement here is internal temp of wood has to reach 140 degrees for 60 min. You need probes inside the wood to record and verify temp. We can ship anywhere in the U.S... But we are in a non- quarrantined county for emerald ash borer. once we do get quarrantined, [and we most likely will], we will have to get USDA certified. All our sales are local, and do not intend on shipping wholesale outside of the state. I do know if a person sells wholesale, the business is very cutthroat. You have to go big with sales and volume. There are plenty of guys across the U.S. that can sell anywhere. But then again, there are alot of [kiln dried firewood producers] that say their firewood is dry, but is just heat treated. Like I said though, it's hard to make money wholesale with the small margins unless you have big sales volume. I'm assuming Michigan has DATCP.[department of ag trade and consumer protection]. That's who you'll want to contact for your local regulations. Don't assume since i can sell across state lines, that you can in Mi.
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

Thank You Sponsors!