iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garage interiors

Started by Firewoodjoe, November 29, 2015, 08:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Hey guys. I'm getting ready to do the interior on my shop/garage. I've seen mostly metal roofing inside and Im not a fan of the ribs. Hanging shelving and such I'd rather have smooth. And my ceiling is 14 foot and I don't want to loose any height. Steel roofing is 1 1/2" thick do to ribs. Drywall breaks and is heavy. I'm thinking some kind of shower type pvc panel for the walls and or wainscot for the ceiling. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!

North River Energy

Any fire code restrictions on interior exposed PVC?
Regardless of appearance, if I were to redo my shop, I'd go with the most fire resistant material possible.

Firewoodjoe

I don't know if it's firecode or not. It's not attached to a home. But I'm sure they still want safe material.

beenthere

I'd say the drywall is your best bet, and need it under the shower stall panels anyway.
What is the savings in cost going to the pvc panel vs. drywall?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Firewoodjoe

None. The drywall is cheaper than anything. But it breaks if a jack handle hits it and it's more weight then I'd like to add to my roof. Plus I have to watch water.

beenthere

Give us a link or brand name of the pvc panel you are thinking of putting up. Want to see if it is more than 1/8" thick ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

azmtnman

What about plain ole' OSB? It's more durable than drywall and not much more expensive. I have used it in a number of garage projects.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Magicman

Yup, most of the interior walls and ceilings in our guest house are paneled with ΒΌ" OSB.  Some are painted and some are wall papered.  The ceilings are rough sheetrock mudded and painted.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Firewoodjoe

It's 1/16  4x8 sheets. And it's almost $20 each. I'm thinking maybe osb and the plastic panel around the bottom 8 foot. Then bead board or wainscot for the top and ceiling. It's already shiny white and only $9 per 4x8.

Firewoodjoe

I really like solid aluminum fositt but at $18 for a 16"x12 foot piece it would be costly. Steel realy is my best option for the ceiling but it's 14 foot. If I do steel that will drop it to 13' 10 1/2". My log truck stakes are 13' 5". That doesn't leave much to jack up.

Woodhauler

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on November 30, 2015, 05:04:24 AM
I really like solid aluminum fositt but at $18 for a 16"x12 foot piece it would be costly. Steel realy is my best option for the ceiling but it's 14 foot. If I do steel that will drop it to 13' 10 1/2". My log truck stakes are 13' 5". That doesn't leave much to jack up.
Steel is the only way to go! You can wash it with pressure washer if needed, also most insurance companys want some sort of steel not wood on the inside. Your first mistake was going 14 ft not 16! Mine is 16ft and my stakes are 13.6 and I can lift loader off and set bucket on floor if needed.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

scgargoyle

Old fashioned 5V tin is only 1/2" thick. Buy it already painted white (or whatever color you like) and the ceiling is finished as soon as it is installed. Steel is much cheaper from a manufacturer/distributor than from a big box store, and they'll make it whatever lengths you need.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Firewoodjoe

When I built it I wasn't driving a log truck haha. Was just thinking ahead for anything street legal. 16 should have been done. I'll look up this 5v!

Firewoodjoe

What about mini corrugated steel. It's only 1/4" tall. But I can only find it in galv. Would that be ok for lighting?

flyboy16101

I used 3/8 sob on the walls and I am in the process of putting up foam board with an aluminum foil on it for the ceiling. Several of the neighbors have done it in there shops, it's light, reflects the light back to the floor, and gives you a little extra R value. The only down fall is that it's easy to break if you have low ceilings and a a not so carefully helper moving long lumber and sticks of steel around
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

Woodhauler

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on November 30, 2015, 05:04:24 AM
5 1/2  inches is plenty to get tires off! You ain't saving anything by trying to gain a ich or so on your height!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

21incher

Around here  they use ribbed steel panels and then blow insulation above it. You may want to check the PSF load rating of your trusses to make sure they are rated to cary a ceiling. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Firewoodjoe

Woodhauler I hear you and I'm thinking the same. I didn't plan to be a truck mechanic and I'm still not planing on it. It's just to make life easier on me. It's not my truck. I just maintain it and drive it. And yes most people here do steel with blown in. And I built my entire garage including the trusses. All rough sawn. 2x6 top cords also. They will hold plenty. And I went with a 5/12 pitch with steel roof so snow never sticks.

bill m

Classic rib metal roofing from H.D. is only 3/4 inch high and can be purchased in many different colors.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

roger 4400

For mine I've use 1/4 white masonite sold 4x8 ft , you can also buy some perforated for your tools .
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Firewoodjoe

The exhaust stacks are also at 13' 5" so the heat and smoke may be an issue with anything wood or foam like.

Woodhauler

you are thinking about this too much! Just use the steel and you won't regret it. Mine has white on walls and celian. You can wash walls with pressure washer if needed and when you weld the steel won't burn !

North River Energy

Quote...and when you weld the steel won't burn !

+3 to that.

gspren

Just last week I stopped at a place that manufactures steel siding so these prices are fresh. Premium painted $2.10, standard painted $1.90, seconds $1.68. All of these are per lineal foot, 36" coverage and they will cut any length to an even inch. After talking to the sales person I'd use seconds inside but not out.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

ScottAR

We put 3/8 osb painted white. (before install)  Whatever you decide, Buy or rent a sheetrock lift to hold the panels while you get it secured.  Not all of em will go as high as 14' but some will.  Major work saver and IMO safer. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Thank You Sponsors!