iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill Rates/ Forester's Cut

Started by texansfan, November 29, 2015, 11:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texansfan

Hey,

I've learned that the prices that I see published by the State of Texas Forestry Dept are what the mill pays and that the landowner could see about 1/3 of that because foresters and others have to get paid for cutting/transporting/brokering the timber.

Is this the case?

Let's say the mill is paying $27 per ton, as a landowner I should expect to see somewhere around $9 per ton?

starmac

I can't help with your question, but have to ask, is 27 bucks a ton an actual price, or just a number you are using as an example.
The  guys here would be going in the hole at that price, last year at 50 a ton (pulp price) I was getting over a third of the gross, just as a trucker. To me that doesn't sound fair, but it just is how it it. Our pulp prices dropped 6 bucks a ton, so it is even worse this year.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

texansfan

Quote from: starmac on November 29, 2015, 02:57:27 PM
I can't help with your question, but have to ask, is 27 bucks a ton an actual price, or just a number you are using as an example.
The  guys here would be going in the hole at that price, last year at 50 a ton (pulp price) I was getting over a third of the gross, just as a trucker. To me that doesn't sound fair, but it just is how it it. Our pulp prices dropped 6 bucks a ton, so it is even worse this year.

http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/uploadedFiles/TFSMain/Manage_Forest_and_Land/Landowner_Assistance/Timber_Harvesting/Timber_Price_Trends/TTPPJuly_Augustweb.pdf

Yes.
That is (somewhat) the price for a ton of pine sawlogs in Northeast, Texas. Check the above link and look at page 2 for all the numbers.
It's actually $29 per ton but I just said $27 to make the math easier to divide into thirds.

Pulpwood is about $9 (nine dollars) per ton.

starmac

Wow, I charge strictly by the load, same price for pulp or sawloads, light or heavy, and if I get every pound on the truck I can legally haul, just my fee comes out to a little over 19 bucks a ton.
Our pulp is 44 bucks this year, but they will not buy much even at that price, they still have a yard full from last year,
Our saw logs pays by the ton, but is based on 385 mbft, which comes out to somewhere in the 70's range for our spruce.
At the Texas prices the only guys that could afford to log here at all would be firewood processors, which brings more than sawlogs anyway.

texansfan

Quote from: starmac on November 29, 2015, 03:43:13 PM
Our saw logs pays by the ton, but is based on 385 mbft,

In that link above it says that 8 tons = 1 MBF Doyle
and 2.7 tons = 1 cord

Texas Ranger

The forest service prices are Stumpage Prices in Texas, what the landowner should receive.  Some loggers play the game that it is mill price.  Get a forester.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

Right now in my part of Texas some logs bring $40 per ton to the land owner, others $22 or so.  Log quality, location and quantity effect the price, as well as weather.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

timberking

Logs are anywhere between 15 and up depending on size and quality.  $40 stumpage is going to be a large precut  with a 12-14" top,    I have noticed that price reports seem to lag about 6 months behind.

starmac

Different types of logs will be a lot different weight. That 385 mbf at 70 something a ton is for our spruce, Not sure what they figure a green cord, dry is 1.75 tons per cord.

Thank You Sponsors!