iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

any experience with timbery?

Started by IndianaJoe, November 29, 2015, 11:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndianaJoe

I have been dreaming about cutting my own boards out of my own logs for several years now.  I first started this dream when I first saw an Alaskan chainsaw mill, then I discovered bandsaw mills. My wife is ok with the idea, we just need to get ahead on our finances(three kids and a small livestock farm keeps our money low). As a result I am looking at lower end hobby models. Timbery sawmills seem to be a little lower in initial price.  I would love some feedback from anyone who has any experience with them.        Thanks   Joe

Ga Mtn Man

There are several Timbery owners here on the forum.  Be patient and I'm sure they'll respond.  While you're waiting, do a forum search for "Timbery" and you'll find some good threads on the topic.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Darrel

While on the topic of "Timbery", I am wondering about their edger. Yesterday I saw YouTube videos that had a Timbery edger in them but could find nothing about it on the Timbery website.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Brad_bb

FYI woodmizer has a special sale right now on the LT10 - free shipping and a bunch of stuff included like cant hook, and 5 bands.  great service at woodmizer.
http://woodmizer.com/Store/Product/Index/2649
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Brad_bb on November 29, 2015, 01:23:55 PM
FYI woodmizer has a special sale right now on the LT10 - free shipping and a bunch of stuff included like cant hook, and 5 bands.  great service at woodmizer.
http://woodmizer.com/Store/Product/Index/2649

Brad,
Thanks for the link.  While it looks like a nice machine and a pretty good deal, it sure makes me feel good about my homemade saw.  I went WAY overboard on the bed - very heavy duty new steel and a lot of length that I needed for my project.  I spent $1,500 to build 38' of track and another $250 on my sawhead.  I probably can't saw as true as that one, but plenty good for my timberframe build.

IndianaJoe,
Good luck on your search for your first saw - have you considered calling WM to see what they may have in trade-ins or used ones?  Not sure if they have a list of owners looking to sell.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

IndianaJoe

I have been looking at old threads concerning timbery, and it seems that timbery was a Canadian company that was purchased by WM. Is there any truth to this? It looks like timberys m100 is about 1500 dollars cheaper than the WM lt10, and you can put bigger logs in the timbery. I have "test drove" a lt10 and it was nice except the height adjustment is not a crank or power adjust, and it seems to me that it would be hard to keep uniform thickness without one of these features.

sawmilljoe

Have you checked out the Woodlands mills I had looked into the Timbery mills. The m100 is very lite in comparison to the Woodlands. There is a dealer in my area so have seen them run and do not come close in the way they work. Jump in get a mill which every you buy will make lumber then you will have the sawdust dust.

Joey Grimes

You can't go wrong with woodmizer they are one of the best companies I've ever delt with.
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: IndianaJoe on November 29, 2015, 06:59:06 PM
I have been looking at old threads concerning timbery, and it seems that timbery was a Canadian company that was purchased by WM. Is there any truth to this?
Yes, Wood-Mizer owns Timbery sawmills.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

dboyt

If you can, get something a notch above a "hobby mill", since once you get started, you'll be pushing the limits of whatever mill you get.  Check the sawmill sponsors (left edge of the screen), go to their web sites, watch their videos, & keep an open mind.  Wouldn't hurt to keep your eyes open for a used mill, too.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Ozarker

Check the forum sponsor's Sawmill Exchange link to the left, for deals on used equipment.

jaciausa

You mentioned the financial aspect being part of the reason to purchase. Make sure you do a business plan that includes all of the support equipment you will need to reach your goals as smooth as possible.

MartyParsons

Hello,
     Here are some facts. 
They have a Subaru engines and seem to work fine. They have needle bearings on the blade wheels and have grease fittings for these bearings. Timbery does have blade guides with ceramic inserts. They do have belted blade wheels. The sawdust does come out away from the operator. The engine rpm is controlled buy a throttle cable on the operator push handle. There is no centrifugal clutch used, just an idle pulley to engage the drive wheel controlled by the operator. Same action as the throttle.  Band blade tension is over center cam with a spring.
The bed frame is not typical angle iron construction. Cables are used to raise the lower the cutting head, the larger models use a gas shock to help with the added weight for the larger engines.

Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Kasba

Quote from: IndianaJoe on November 29, 2015, 11:14:02 AM
I have been dreaming about cutting my own boards out of my own logs for several years now.  I first started this dream when I first saw an Alaskan chainsaw mill, then I discovered bandsaw mills. My wife is ok with the idea, we just need to get ahead on our finances(three kids and a small livestock farm keeps our money low). As a result I am looking at lower end hobby models. Timbery sawmills seem to be a little lower in initial price.  I would love some feedback from anyone who has any experience with them.        Thanks   Joe

I have a Timbery M285 25hp and absolutely love it. I had a LT15GO before and the Timbery has proven to me more than a hobby mill. The only negative thing I would say is that I have always used there blades and now that I started using Kasco blades I would never go back.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

Quebecnewf

I have been looking into Kasco blades as well. I have been using Lennox Woodmaster C and find them good but I hear good things about Kasco as well. Did a little checking and they are a few dollars cheaper as well. Do you saw hardwood or softwood?

Has anyone tried out the Timbery sharpener as well?
QuebecNewf

davemartin88

Quote from: IndianaJoe on November 29, 2015, 11:14:02 AM
As a result I am looking at lower end hobby models. Timbery sawmills seem to be a little lower in initial price.  I would love some feedback from anyone who has any experience with them.        Thanks   Joe

Haven't been on the forum for a couple of years but saw this post about a new mill. I bought a Timbery M100 with the 9HP motor on Tuesday and finished assembly yesterday afternoon, went together well with only one minor issue. The cables used to raise and lower the mill were attached differently than described in the book but figured it out with some help from the PA Woodmizer folks. Get some help putting the head together, I did it by myself and lifted it with a strap on a tractor bucket but not the easiest way, too impatient to wait for help, lol.

Here's a picture of the first milling I did yesterday afternoon. Set up and adjustments were easy and I'm impressed with the mill and the build so far. Don't plan to run this mill very hard and I think the sweet spot will be for logs between 12" and 18" in diameter but the book says it will do a 26" log- that would be a lot of blade for such a small motor but might work.

My intention this time is to stay with smaller diameter logs, mostly 8' lengths or shorter, I might consider getting an additional clamp for longer logs but won't rush in to it. Take the time to get the bed set straight, mount the bed on wood, using at least a 4"x4" and some crossbeams for rigidity and it should work well. One of the issues with a smaller, manual mill is the pounding they can take getting logs on and off so getting it solid up front is time well spent along with some small ramps to roll a log on to the mill rather than dropping it from a tractor!

As FYI, my first mill in 2001 was a Woodmizer LT15 that I ran for about 2 years before starting a part time mobile business with an LT50, full hydraulics. Sold this mill when I retired 2 years ago- resale value for both mills was excellent. After 2 years, I find myself starting to run out of wood for my own projects. I still get calls from locals that have one or two logs they want milled two years after selling my LT50. It was really hard to spend $300 on local hardwood a couple of weeks ago so started looking at mills again. There are a lot of small logs here that are free for the taking- the cedar in the picture above as an example fell on the road near our river camp last week so had to be cleared off the road and a couple of pieces found their way home with me. I'll use these pieces on a CNC machine to make some signs.

Set out to buy an LT10 this time but saw the Timbery and tried it out and decided to go the less expensive route. Time will tell how it holds up but first impression is that as a small mill for a hobbyist, my early view is very favorable.

Good luck with your search for a mill, key is to understand what you plan to do with it and match the mill to the plan. I looked at the larger Timbery and Woodmizer mills while visiting Marty (almost bought another LT15 as it was a great mill!) but decided to save some cash, will know in a year or two if I did the right thing!

Magicman

Welcome back into the sawdust making business.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

davemartin88

Quote from: Magicman on December 05, 2015, 09:01:06 AM
Welcome back into the sawdust making business.   8)

Thanks. Started leveling a spot for the mill today. Will add a lean to off the side of a shed. Took down a couple of small oaks and two hickory trees to make the space so will mill them once the mill is moved.

If the original poster comes back to the thread and has questions, feel free to PM me for a phone number.

Kasba

Quote from: Quebecnewf on December 01, 2015, 04:19:30 AM
I have been looking into Kasco blades as well. I have been using Lennox Woodmaster C and find them good but I hear good things about Kasco as well. Did a little checking and they are a few dollars cheaper as well. Do you saw hardwood or softwood?

Has anyone tried out the Timbery sharpener as well?
QuebecNewf
I saw a misx of soft and hard mostly Western Red Cedar, Douglas Fir, Arbutus and Big Leaf Maple.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

Hammerman69

Quote from: davemartin88 on December 06, 2015, 02:24:13 PM
Quote from: Magicman on December 05, 2015, 09:01:06 AM
Welcome back into the sawdust making business.   8)

Thanks. Started leveling a spot for the mill today. Will add a lean to off the side of a shed. Took down a couple of small oaks and two hickory trees to make the space so will mill them once the mill is moved.

If the original poster comes back to the thread and has questions, feel free to PM me for a phone number.
How is the mill working still ? Ive been looking at mills and came across Timbery , i know these post are 5 yrs old just wanted to see if they hold up well 

Thank You Sponsors!