iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Remember when ....

Started by WV Sawmiller, November 29, 2015, 08:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Dairy feed came in printed sacks so you could use them to make a shirt or dress. (Mom could make a dress out of 2 sacks so we'd have to move several tons of feed, in 100 lb sacks, to find 2 matching sacks.) Sweet feed came in 100 lb burlap bags. Now all these feeds I see come in paper or nylon 50 lb sacks.

Flour came in a pillowcase and was sewed into a pocket to accommodate the amount of flour advertised. The rest of the sack was loose on the side.

Dish towels were sewed into the end of the flour (or was it corn meal) sack.

You got  "free" dishes inside a box of detergent. (You'd have to struggle to collect a complete set.)

Green stamps and Top Value (I think that was the yellow ones) stamps you accumulated and traded in for "prizes". (We'd have to be sure to shop at the stores that gave stamps.)

Soup labels and cigarette tabs/ends were turned in to the school and returned for cash or prizes.

Jelly glasses (they may still make these for all I know - its been years since we bought store bought jelly).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

The only "new" shirts that I ever got were the ones that Mom sewed from chicken feed sacks.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

to young to remember the flour sacks but do remember the stamps. our local grocer still does that every once in a while where you can trade in the stamps for dishes. also the dental mild snuff glasses and the glasses that came in oatmeal. sort of a different subject but along the same lines about 25 years ago we ordered 100 baby chicks to split 50/50 with a friend and the hatchery said they had a bad hatch so they were not able to fill order of rhode island reds so they sent 500  :o white leghorns and a letter that explained the situation and if we were not satisfied to let them know and they would refund our money. they were a amish hatchery and at that time the p  rice shipping and all was $55 per 100 and the only way to contact them was by letter as they had no phone. the worst part was the friend didnt want his half  :-\ he said he still just wanted his 50 and said he was sure glad we had them shipped to our housed instead of his :D :D :D bright side of it is we had all the eggs and fried chicken we could eat for a couple of years ;D  back to the jelly jar glasses they still have them here and i bought 4 pint for the glass it was not very good jelly so it would have been cheaper to have bought the glasses :)

where is customer service and value now ???
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

firecord

This one is hard to believe!  When I was young I slept on what I called the dead bed.  Every time someone in our family died I got a new bed (so to say) It was until I moved out and bought a water bed that I got my first bed that was not a hand me down.  we still joke about it to this day.

WV Sawmiller

SSM14,

Dad said when he moved to the community where I was born and raised in N. Fla we had train depot and a combination community store and post office next to the depot. People would order chicks and the suppliers would throw in an extra 4-5 chicks per hundred to compensate for expected losses. Residents knew this but suddenly they were getting short counts (95-98 instead of 100). Finally there were enough complaints the suppliers had an investigation and found the postmistress was stealing a few out of each batch.

She was fired but when they went to her house she had a big flock of chickens with every imaginable breed and age groups of biddies, fryers and grown chickens.

Which reminds me - remember when every little town had a train depot and people and freight came much more often by train.

Firecord,

Never heard of a dead bed but I do remember Grandma's old feather mattresses.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

drobertson

Amazing to think about,  I do remember filling the green back books for mom, it was fun going through the catalog to see what would be next to get,, and we drank from jelly jars all my childhood, except for special occasions,  Winn-Dixie was the go to store, and they even bought back all the bottles I collected from the construction sites, a double pay day, one for sweeping the floor, two on all the bottle returns,, good memories
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tmarch

I remember taking separated cream to the depot in cream cans, 5 or 8 gallon metal cans.  The cans had my Dads name embossed on them and the creamery name and address.  I still have 2 5 gallon cans.  The cream went to Lakeville Creamery in Lakeville, IL.  I have several pencils (eversharps) we called them from the creamery.
We also took eggs to the grocery store and traded for groceries. 
Some of the best days of my life, no telephone or electricity until we got a 32 volt system with a generator and the batteries in glass jars. 8) 8)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

WV Sawmiller

TMarch,

Speaking of telephones reminds me of party lines where each member on the line (I think they could have up to 8) had a different ring. You never knew when you picked up the line if someone else would already be on there. We had a semi-private line for many years which we shared with one other customer.
Howard Green

Chuck White

My Mom used to make quilts out of flour sacks.

She would sew that quilting fluff in each of the sacks and then sew the sacks together.  Made a really warm quilt!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Autocar

I remember when my four sisters would go to the feed mill with dad and I and once a year they could pick out a feed sack they liked then would make a dress out of them. Those sacks cost a little more and once a year was a treat for them. And Firecord taking about the dead bed, my story on that one was when one of my sisters moved back home there wasn't enough room for all of us so mom and dad put my old metal fram bed in the attic on a sheet of plywood and I would walk on a one by six to get to my bed it sure was cold in the winter. I remember looking though the vent on the end of the house to see what the weather was.
Bill

Ljohnsaw

When we lived in Southern California, I remember pasting the Green Stamps and Blue Chip stamps in their books.   Never had many Green Stamps, but with a family of 9, we sure filled the Blue Chip books fast!  I know my mom sent them in for stuff and I vaguely remember looking through the catalog, but I don't remember anything we got.  Must have been something really exciting like dish towels... :D  When we moved to NY when I was 11, the local A&P had dishware sets where you would turn in so many dollars of receipts to get a plate or cup.  My sister collected a full set but it took getting receipts from friends and family to do it!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

gww

Wells and cisterns with hand pumps,  No air, no microwave, no color tv (dad remembers the nice poeple with the first tv around him :D) Lots of standard transmitions and a few push botton ones, the out house and sometimes bucket in the bedroom, pot belly stoves,  box fans and open windows,  always a pan to wash up in and parents that let us run all over the place for hours at a time.
Cheers
gww

Taking baths two at a time and sometimes several kid in a row to save water-hot water.

StimW

We were the first to have a TV in our neighborhood.
My Dad got one that needed repair and since he was into electronics he fixed it.
It had a 7" screen and IIRC was a Philco.
My parents always talked about the time they counted 27 kids in the living room watching that TV!
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

clww

Quote from: StimW on November 29, 2015, 08:38:10 PM
We were the first to have a TV in our neighborhood.
My Dad got one that needed repair and since he was into electronics he fixed it.
It had a 7" screen and IIRC was a Philco.
My parents always talked about the time they counted 27 kids in the living room watching that TV!
WOW! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sandhills

I remember the green stamps, we saved enough of them dad got his first boat and a 7.5 hp motor for it, wow we were really living then  :D! 

sawguy21

We got our first tv when I was around 7, until then there was no station to watch. The area didn't get a second channel until the early 70's. Mom and my sister lived next to each other, they were still on a party line in the late 80's. I never had a shirt made from a flour sack but do remember corduroy pants (I hated them) and red top gum boots.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

whitepine2

On the party lines my grandmother told this story. She called her sister down the road and said to her be careful what you say as Abby will be listing
in and soon after a wee little voice said " I be not".
I can remember when Dr. King was at the house,yes they made house calls then and when he got done his doctoring asked to use phone,well line was busy as we had 8 on line and two families had over ten kids so phone was always in use. When informed of this he said he wanted the line for an emergency and if they didn't get off he would see to it that their phone would be removed soon followed by two clicks. The old Doc would take eggs in trade for services two dozen double yokers as this is what he ate when on the road a hole in each end and suck ot the goods yuck. 

gww

I do remember in the early/mid eighties that with no insurance, I could go to doc bradly for 20 bucks and if he perscribed medicine, he would mix it in his office.  He was old at that time and I am sure had many of his own stories that could have been told if anyone had thought to ask.  I only knew him by visiting him in his office twice and was under the mistaken ideal that all doctors were like that.  When he died, I found the truth out.
gww

Ps  Recently my wife went to the doctor twice and I paid $400 and my insurance paid $1600. 

petefrom bearswamp

Ianab,
Would like to get a pair of red top gum boots for me and the missus but your site only has New Zealand as possible suppliers
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

coxy

Quote from: gww on November 30, 2015, 05:43:51 PM
I do remember in the early/mid eighties that with no insurance, I could go to doc bradly for 20 bucks and if he perscribed medicine, he would mix it in his office.  He was old at that time and I am sure had many of his own stories that could have been told if anyone had thought to ask.  I only knew him by visiting him in his office twice and was under the mistaken ideal that all doctors were like that.  When he died, I found the truth out.
gww

Ps  Recently my wife went to the doctor twice and I paid $400 and my insurance paid $1600.
that's not bad I went to the er in Aug from a bee sting was there 1/2hour was over 3k the shot they gave me was 995$ found out it was only benadryl what a rip off >:( >:(  does any one still take the green stamps

Ianab

These guys say they will ship to the US, but I'd think postage on gumboots would be a killer.    :-\

http://www.gubba.co.nz/shop/SHOP+BY+BRANDS/Skellerup+Red+Band+Gumboots.html

The actual Red Bands is a NZ brand and we can buy them at any farm supply store. I see they have a division in the US, but they seem to only sell plain black and blue boots. Not the good ole Red Bands.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

whitepine2

Quote from: gww on November 30, 2015, 05:43:51 PM
gww

Yep same with old Dr.King,his back room was full of med's big brown jars of pills but DEA etc.put an end to all that. Old Killer King we called him when I was young,he would do operations small ones in his office as well, the good old days.

Thank You Sponsors!