Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Oh yes, but it is still interesting.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Very cool, thanks for the post.  Here is another commercial steam powered sawmill over in CA somewhere: http://www.phillipsbrothersmill.com/
Boy, back in my day..

DMcCoy

There are a number of you-tubes just for that mill showing it in operation.

Headrig - wowza!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp7gfWBVvxw

flatrock58

One of my neighbors has a dvd showing the entire operation.  I think it is Golden rail video "Steam powered sawmill".  An amazing video! 
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Dave_

I toured the mill last year and was disappointed to learn that they only run the steam engine a few times during the year for special guests and to keep up their certifications.

fishfighter

Nice read. Wonder if they could put a edge on a few of my blades. :D

DMcCoy

Quote from: Dave_ on December 02, 2015, 12:09:44 PM
I toured the mill last year and was disappointed to learn that they only run the steam engine a few times during the year for special guests and to keep up their certifications.

I'm disappointed to hear that too.  So much for self made power still being used fantasy.   Had an uncle who ran a steam donkey.  His eyes would change color as he spoke about it reminded me of old diesel fuel.  Unlimited power he would say, need more just open the valve a little more.  He also had a little contempt for diesel engines as being "weak". 

Have you been to the Brooks Steam up?  August - Best time of year to go see hot steam engines. :/

Kbeitz

Steam has a special place in my life.
I've worked with it and collected steam related stuff for years.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

DMcCoy

Nice collection Kbeitz!  I have never had the patience for restoration but am glad others do.

That must be brass colored paint on that vertical engine???

Kbeitz

Quote from: DMcCoy on December 03, 2015, 10:43:27 AM
Nice collection Kbeitz!  I have never had the patience for restoration but am glad others do.

That must be brass colored paint on that vertical engine???

Neather one.... Just clear coat over rubbed rust.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!