Sponsors:

First Time I've Seen the Ring of Fire

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 28, 2015, 02:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 29, 2015, 07:05:53 PM
Quote from: purple otter on November 29, 2015, 03:57:48 PM
Looks like bacon !

He can make it taste like Bacon if he'd hang a piece of it up in his barrel.  :D :D :D :D

The crispy kind?  :D :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

customdave

I thought this would be sawen up by now, mill fixed... just kinda waitin for the pics, not trying rush ya or anything, guess I can wait another hour ;)...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Cedarman on November 28, 2015, 05:10:14 PM
I am still waiting on a good explanation on why sometimes sapwood will not turn into heartwood too.

From this article

QuoteThe reddish-violet heartwood of Juniperus virginiana L. contains irregularly distributed and longitudinally oriented streaks of light-coloured wood, described as "included sapwood". A histological study revealed that a blockage of the rays, which is caused by wounds often associated with tiny shakes, branch stubs and included bark, may lead to this anomaly. A study of fresh wood immediately after felling of the trees showed that "included sapwood" lacks physiological activity similar to the adjacent normal heartwood. Cellular UV-spectroscopic analysis revealed a secondary metabolism particularly of phenolic compounds in the pit membranes of tracheids during "included sapwood" formation, whereas the reddish-violet flavonoid compounds do not develop in this anomalous wood. Chemical analyses of petrol ether, diethyl ether, acetone and ethanol/water extracts of sapwood, "included sapwood" and heartwood showed that the accessory compounds cedrol, α-cedrene, widdrol, thujopsene and cuparene increased in "included sapwood" compared to sapwood. As opposed to the reddish-violet heartwood compounds, these sesquiterpenes turned out to be highly toxic against a brown-rot fungus in a bioassay. These findings justify defining "included sapwood" as a heartwood anomaly, since the important wood characteristics of this tissue obey the definition of heartwood rather than sapwood. This anomaly should no longer be a reason to exclude this type of wood from commercial utilisation.

Gotta pay for the whole article. I'm not that curious :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customdave on December 02, 2015, 11:07:15 PM
I thought this would be sawen up by now, mill fixed... just kinda waitin for the pics, not trying rush ya or anything, guess I can wait another hour ;)...

Dave

I had other orders ahead of it. My plan is to saw it in the morning.  ::)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

OffGrid973

Best part of a roller coaster is the climb...being told the ride is now closed until tomorrow is THE WORST!!!
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: cwimer973 on December 03, 2015, 07:53:47 PM
Best part of a roller coaster is the climb...being told the ride is now closed until tomorrow is THE WORST!!!

You are exactly right....in fact, I may let the coaster go just a little higher.  :D

caveman

Dodgy Loner, thank you for providing an explanation for the ring in the heartwood. 
Caveman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I was impressed with the guts of these logs.  :) Looks like red lines were actually painted down the sides. I still have not seen anything like these. These belonged to a customer but I ended up trading him 2 for 1 on the lumber. All he was looking for was Cedar to make toys out of. I sawed these slabs 2 inches thick for a table top.

Nomad

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 04, 2015, 06:57:17 PM
I was impressed with the guts of these logs.  :) Looks like red lines were actually painted down the sides. I still have not seen anything like these. These belonged to a customer but I ended up trading him 2 for 1 on the lumber. All he was looking for was Cedar to make toys out of. I sawed these slabs 2 inches thick for a table top.

I think you made a good trade!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magicman

Actually, I kept the one that I sawed too.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Purty cool looking.  Like racing stripes. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

customdave

It amazes me that a old man would drool over a stinken old log , but  I can't help it , man thats nice stuff...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

customsawyer

If you need help disposing of that ugly stuff let me know. I'm here to help.  ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Sixacresand

I think I clicked "like" when I saw the photos on facebook.   :)
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

wolf nemeth

Thanks, Dodgy, for the  explanation.  If I read this correctly, these sapwood streaks are even MORE resistant to  brown fungus than the purple heartwood.  Go figure...
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on December 05, 2015, 02:41:19 AM
If you need help disposing of that ugly stuff let me know. I'm here to help.  ;D

Its always good to have caring friends.  ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A lot of people have seen these boards at the mill, some wanting to know what I would take for them.
But sometimes, I know I do, get excited and wanna put a miter saw or planer on them.
I think I'll just sand them real good, let them air dry for a  few months and put them in the shop to store.

I may do a little exploring on Ebay and other sites. Who knows, with Cedar facing like this, I may be crazy NOT to sell it at the right price.  :o

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!