iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Weirdness in the woods.

Started by Jeff, November 25, 2015, 09:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

If you spend as much time in the woods hunting as I have over the years, I know you have seen some interesting and maybe even wondrous things. A couple nights ago, I saw something that was sort of freaking me out while hunting on my property.

It was last light. The kind of light where you may or may not be able to see antlers on a deer. We had a lot of snow, and snow was sticking to everything making the ground and the brush white. This is when I saw what I saw. This black object kind of came floating in several inches off the ground. It was moving left and right, and moving up and down from the ground up to about two feet. It would also "blink out" just disappear for a second or two and them reappear. At times it would just hover above the ground not moving. It had movement sort of like what I had seen from small drones, but this was black, and looked sort of fury. It really was starting to disturb me that I had no idea what I was seeing. Within just a couple minutes, the last light was gone. I left the blind and drove back to the cabin in wonderment.

The next evening I hunted in the same spot. yesterday. Just before that last light, I discovered what it was that I had been observing.

Any Guesses?

Marcel can't guess. I was on skype with him today, so he already knows. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

It wasn't this. But this was wonderous as well when I came across it a few years ago.  Snow on a web.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPB_5hFkP-o

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

Or maybe floaters from another torn retina?  Nope. :)

beenthere

I was going to guess it was Marcel, but now know that it can't be him.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Left Coast Chris

The moon casting a shadow from a clump of leaves left in a tree or other shape above?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

isawlogs

I told him it was flashbacks from something he may have consummed back in the seventies......      smiley_smug01
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

fishpharmer

I figured it was a stretch.   

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

Good try though for a Gentleman from the south. :)  The answer has a Northern flavor. :)

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

Sounds like could be an owl, as I had one fly in at the end of a hunting day while in my blind. Knew I'd seen something, but couldn't make it out, until it came to the ground for a mouse (I think) and did some movement feeding. Owls are so silent when they fly and move about. Don't know if this is even close.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

I don't have a guess as to what it is, but I bet it's related to whatever is sneaking into my house and leaving hickory nuts in my boots. I've gone around to every door in the house with a hickory nut as a gauge, and none of them will let it under.  :D No mouse doors in the baseboard, either. ???
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Good guesses, but all nope so far. :)

Babylon519

Swamp gas? I live on the other side of the lake from you, and we noticed an odd fog Monday or Tuesday night...
Jason
Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

clearcut

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Jeff

I'm afraid it would have had to have been a hummingbird sickle!  Nope.

Left Coast Chris

1)   A martin or wolverine or other animal with a high bushy tail?? 

2)  A spot on your glasses

3)  Swirling wind blowing some type of debris or other natural material

4)  Low spider webs reflecting remaining light.....

5)  Wood chuck strutting with feathers out

6)  I give up.......

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Jeff

Happy Birthday Chris!  Guess what??  You Got it... wrong. ;) :)

fishpharmer

What are those birds you have up North...Ptarmigon or grouse, guess they are different.  Maybe they hover?

Thank You Sponsors!