iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

spinal stenosis

Started by firecord, November 25, 2015, 08:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firecord

Never really thought about something like that happening  to me.   I got up a couple weeks ago and my legs were numb.  When it never cleared up I decided to go to the dr.  After several test and 3 Dr's later that was the diagnosis.   Out of 7 spinal vertebrae 5 are obstructed. 2 Dr's same diagnosis. Both said with no surgery I'll be in wheel chair in around 2 years.   So Tuesday I'll have 1 of 2 surgeries. The 2nd will be Thursday.   Hospital for at least 7 days.  No driving or work for at least 3 months.  50 percent chance I won't be able to ever work again.   I've been semi retired for last 2 years but was getting bored and thinking about returning to work full time.  O well just have to wait and see what the Lord has in store for me. 

thecfarm

I hope things will go good for ya!!! And than some.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

Think positive thoughts Firecord, I know someone who had the same thing happen and he was good for many years after.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

beenthere

That is a real bummer of a diagnosis and prognosis. Let's hope there is some good light at the end of the tunnel.  In our prayers for sure.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

Good luck with your surgery, I really hope it works. My wife has it, a very painful, crippling disease.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Crow99

Good luck with your surgeries. They can do some amazing things today that they couldn't do even 10 or 15 years ago.  I'm in a situation similar to yours, due to arthritis.  My L2, L3, and L4 vertebrae were really constricting my spinal cord and fir the last couple of years it was really getting bad. Weakness progressing in my legs and the pain of doing even simple things wouldn't stop. Anyway I had an mri and the doc showed me where 1 vertebra had almost blocked the spinal column all together and 2 more were getting really tight too.  So I had a triple laminectomy 3 weeks ago and the results so far are encouraging, almost amazing. Pain is all but gone and I can actually feel my legs getting stronger. And people say they can tell a difference in the way I walk too. They stitch or glue  (?!! ) the muscles back so I have to wait several weeks before putting stress on things and then do some physical therapy, but I am very encouraged by the results so far. Hopefully I'll get back to 80 percent or so.... I'm  68 so maybe 100 percent is in the past..:)  or maybe not.
Anyway I just wanted to offer you some encouragement.  And wish you well. Be sure you follow all the doc's instructions and don't try to do too much too soon. Give yourself some time to heal and hopefully things will work well for you. 

yukon cornelius

I sure hate to hear that! I pray your surgeries successful!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

coxy

that stinks hope you have a fast recovery DO WHAT THE DOC SAYS TO DO    I had back surgery 14 years ago after a few snowmobile snowcross crashes  onL3-4 and wish I did what the doc said to do but I didn't  cant cry over spilled milk now  good luck

timberlinetree

Glad you went to the doc,s. We will be praying for comfert and healing for you.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Sixacresand

Praying your surgery is a success, Firecord.  You need to take care of yourself after you recover. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

drobertson

I had/have the same, mine was/is located in the L-4,L-5, they did the work adding rods on each side, as well as re-building the disk below.  Follow the directions to the letter, and when they say walk, walk as much as you can. I've been going through some kind of set back of late, not sure what's going on, but the leg pain is back in both legs and buttocks.  Waiting for the new year due to the deductible, I feel your pain as many here do, hang in there.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jeff

Good luck. They can do amazing things these days.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

coxy

Quote from: Crow99 on November 25, 2015, 10:22:20 PM
Good luck with your surgeries. They can do some amazing things today that they couldn't do even 10 or 15 years ago.  I'm in a situation similar to yours, due to arthritis.  My L2, L3, and L4 vertebrae were really constricting my spinal cord and fir the last couple of years it was really getting bad. Weakness progressing in my legs and the pain of doing even simple things wouldn't stop. Anyway I had an mri and the doc showed me where 1 vertebra had almost blocked the spinal column all together and 2 more were getting really tight too.  So I had a triple laminectomy 3 weeks ago and the results so far are encouraging, almost amazing. Pain is all but gone and I can actually feel my legs getting stronger. And people say they can tell a difference in the way I walk too. They stitch or glue  (?!! ) the muscles back so I have to wait several weeks before putting stress on things and then do some physical therapy, but I am very encouraged by the results so far. Hopefully I'll get back to 80 percent or so.... I'm  68 so maybe 100 percent is in the past..:)  or maybe not.
Anyway I just wanted to offer you some encouragement.  And wish you well. Be sure you follow all the doc's instructions and don't try to do too much too soon. Give yourself some time to heal and hopefully things will work well for you.
this is going to sound stupid but my doc told me the spinal cord stops at lumbard part of you back he also told me no mater how bad he did on the surgery I would never have to worry about being in a chair maybe in more pain then I want to be in but never a chair he told me this at least 10 times   did he lie to me :-\  ??? ??? ???

Crow99

I don't know.  When I saw my mri pics, I saw spinal cord that looked like it went all the way down. And the sciatic nerve comes out between two of the lumbar vertebrae (can't remember which ones).  If you lose or damage that, if I'm correct, your legs don't work. I'm not a doc and I didn't sleep in a Holiday inn express either. So take this for what it might or might not be,worth... 

LeeB

Wow, what a thing to find out. At least it is operable. Hoping for the best outcome for you.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SawyerBrown

Wow, you're a pretty young guy to have all that going on. Good luck with the surgeries, sounds like that's the only real option.  It IS truly amazing what they can do these days. Thank God for the men and women who dedicate their lives to this kind of stuff -- they're a whole lot smarter than I am!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

red

Stay Strong a good positive attitude can make a huge difference. 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

doctorb

The spinal cord itself ends around the L1 vertebrae.  Below it, a mass of spinal nerves head further down the spine.  These nerves are called the caudal equine (horses tail). 

Spinal CORD compression occurs higher in the spine, most often from fracture, from disc protrusion, or tumor.  Some people are born with it.

Spinal STENOSIS is a narrowing of the space available to the spinal cord or nerves, most common in the lumbar area.  The nerves act like strands of spaghetti, slowly being squeezed closer and closer together until they can't be further squeezed.  Leg symptoms are common at this point.  The stenosis occurs from a combination of hypertrophy of the posterior facet joints in the spine due to arthritis and disc protrusion.  It can be difficult to accurately determine which levels of the spine are causing your symptoms as often many levels are severely degenerated and diseased.

Best of luck to you.  Keep me posted and I'll be happy to answer any questions as you proceed.  If you prefer to discuss this more privately, you can always send me a PM.

It sounds like you're scheduled for a "front and back" procedure.  The posterior procedure is used to perform much of the decompression of the nerves.  By taking away the compressing bone, the spine can get slightly unstable.  The front procedure is to fuse the spine preventing motion from further irritating the nerves and preventing instability due to the posterior procedure.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

drobertson

Good stuff doctorb,  I sure appreciate your insight while I had my episode.  It still amazes me why some docs can read an MRI, while my doc said at times they are hard to interpret.  I had to have Mylagram test to verify the blockage between the facets.  This procedure although a quick one, brought a few moments of attention getting pain.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

firecord

Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts.   Drrob I am having both. I have spoken to a couple of people who have had both and had good results. However one of them can barely turn his head.  I'm just going to put my trust in God and move forward.  After all what other options do we really have!

SawyerBrown

What a great attitude, firecord.  Certainly that will help get you through this.

Reminds me of my favorite line from the new movie "Bridge of Spies".  As the Russian spy Rudolf Abel is about to have his sentence handed down as to life in prison or the death penalty, he's sitting calmly.  His attorney James Donovan (Tom Hanks) asks him, "Aren't you worried?".  Abel replies, "Would it help?" 

Worrying won't help.  Put it in God's hands (and the doctors He has given the skills), and know that things will turn out.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

red

firecord

Had first surgery today. They gave me some kind of nerve blocker that is supposed to last 20 or so hours.   Great stuff. No pain what so ever YET!  Dr said that he fussed c3 to c7 and all went well.    Thanks again for the prayers and support.     RICKY

coxy

glad  every thing has gone well for you  8)

red

I think you have your second surgery today hope all is well

Thank You Sponsors!