iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad day at felling

Started by John Vander, November 25, 2015, 07:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Vander

I did some check-ups on the trees growing on a small playground at the pre-school where my son goes to (next to it is an elementary school too. Both schools make use of the playground.) One of the teachers told me that checks for loose branches etc. are done from time to time, but when I went to check it I was amazed at the dangers in the area and that no one picked it up. One of the problems was a dead old tree that was located right at the foot path where the little kids play. On investigating, I realzed this tree was looking for someone to fall on. I went to the vice-principal and told him about it. He then asked me if I could remove it. I cut into the wood and it was so soft from the rot, but there was at least something left for a hinge. (I also tied it up for just in case.) Located on the ridge of a slope (a 2 meter drop on the other end) I had little work space. I carefully plunged it and made a hinge. As I worked to the back I tried to keep my cutting speed down. Suddenly the tree came loose! As I was about to retreat the darn tree pinched the tip of the bar, but for about an instant only. Got the saw out and backed up. I felt really crappy about it. After cutting so many bad trees I did'nt think I'd screw up like this. I guess we all have our bad days.

Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

beenthere

If the pinched bar is the only bad thing that happened, don't see it as a bad day. Is the bar ok?
Did the tree fall where you wanted it to fall?

Good on you that you discovered this danger before someone was hurt.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Vander

Thank you Beenthere. I carefully checked the bar at home and it was not bent. The tree fell exactly where I wanted it. After felling that dead tree, I discovered several other dangers too. I was amazed that these things were overlooked.

gww

My last bad felling was right into a power line that I knew was there but just I didn't think.
gww

WV Sawmiller

Reminds me of the big sumac (we call them Stink trees) I cut in the back yard. One in the clump fell over my backyard fence so I decided to cut the others. Hooked my 4 wheeler winch to it to pull it away from the power lines behind it. Got tension on the tree and started cutting. Unfortunately when I got it cut it fell towards my ATV then got slack and fell into the power line in front of it. I needed a second person on the ATV driving to pull as it started falling and was working alone.

Knocked out power for several miles here in the community. To help tick off the neighbors I am the only one around with a whole house genset with an ATS so 10 seconds later I still had power even though none of my neighbors did.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

coxy

[quote author=WV Sawmiller link=topic=86965.msg1333318#msg1333318 date=14488

Knocked out power for several miles here in the community. To help tick off the neighbors I am the only one around with a whole house genset with an ATS so 10 seconds later I still had power even though none of my neighbors did.
[/quote] :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

John Vander

Felling in Japan is like playing gholf in a china shop. You're bound to destroy something. :)

Thank You Sponsors!