iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Echo310 or Stihl 170

Started by Jerryok1971, November 25, 2015, 06:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerryok1971

Hi guys. I just started using my new ms291 and love it. However I want something to cut smaller stuff as I find its big for limbing. Not much difference in price with the echo at 199 and the stihl at 179. Any input would be appreciated

sawguy21

No offense intended to the Stihl guys but the Echo is well worth the extra twenty bucks. Far better quality than most entry level offerings.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Vander

I use a stihl 170 for limbing. I need to make difficult and precise cuts on storm dammaged trees. It's precise and has a lot of power for such a small saw. Plunge cuts no problem.
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

Knute

Can't say about the 170, but I have the 310 and it is a very good little saw. Always starts easy and has good power after a few hours of breakin.

sawguy21

I'm not slamming the MS170, it is a very decent saw for the price but imho the Echo serves a bigger bang for the buck.

John Vander

I've seen some Echo saws here in Japan at a home center store. In Japan, home centers are not allowed to stock Hasq., Zenoa or Stihl. Would anyone mind posting a pic of some Echo saws here? Would like to do some research. Want to check out the Echo saws you have in the States as in comparison to what I found here.

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

John Vander

JohnG28, thanx for the link. Echo looks pretty good! Can't find the bigger saws here. Home centers only stock 30cc, sometimes 40cc. I don't understand why you guys in the States get stuff so cheap. I pay double the price here for what you do there! :-\

sawguy21

Boy, did I get the gears for my comments from my local Stihl dealer. :D

ladylake

Nothing wrong with telling the truth.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

trapper

Anyone done a muffler mod on the echo 310?  Mine runs great but seems a bit underpowered.  Probably not broke in yet. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Jim H

I modded the muffler on one I had. I opened the hole up a bit and was able to was able to open up the high rpm adjustment some, next I removed the cat. That didn't seem to make much difference in performance. All in all I got a small gain and it seems to run cooler. As always be sure to pull the limit caps and adjust the mixture after any mods.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

sawguy21

Quote from: ladylake on December 02, 2015, 04:13:14 AM

Nothing wrong with telling the truth.   Steve
The dealer is Paul_H, I have been doing some work for him. :D

JohnG28

No problem on the link. We do seem to have some of the best prices on these things, probably due to the high demand here and competition driving down cost, at least on the smaller saw market which is large here.
We are a little spoiled too I suppose.  :D

Sawguy, I had a feeling your Stihl guy was a member!  :D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Paul_H

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 01, 2015, 10:44:45 PM
Boy, did I get the gears for my comments from my local Stihl dealer. :D

:D 8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jerryok1971

Hi guys. Well I ended up getting the Echo 310 from my wife for Christmas. It is a joy to use. Lightweight, good power and the thing I like most about it is ease of starting. It will start on in 2or 3 pulls cold and 1 when warmed up. Still love my 291 but have Ben grabbing this saw more and more. Thanks for all the input
Guys.

zach613

Love my 170, Love my 180. everyone who has helped me build trail fights over the 180 for the easy chain adjuster. but they both work just as good as one another keep the chain sharp and it will cut a 5 inch log as fast as my ms260. their light and can be ran all day long

Thank You Sponsors!