iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log size question

Started by starmac, November 25, 2015, 03:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dean herring

Pic just come thru, that , looks really good banjo. How old is it, and did you cut the dovetails they look really good too
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Banjo picker

All I did was saw the logs... :)  The customer cut the joints and put it up back behind his house, as a small guest house.   Its probably about two years old.  He is a really nice guy.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

starmac

Drrobertson. It is a customer that wants these. The ones he wants out of popple/aspen will be 6 inchers.
He wants some 8 inchers out of spruce.
I am leaning towards 8 in square or 8X10 foursided for my own use.

It is good info, how you get  logs out of one log, but for our use, we should be able to get enough at the right size for one, and save the bigger logs for timbers ro X10's, 12's etc.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

drobertson

You may as well figure on using 12" dia logs, and pic the straightest ones you can get.  You will end up with some outside lumber.  Hope all goes well for you, it is fun.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

starmac

Getting 12,13 in tops from the guys I haul for should be no problem.
We are pretty lucky or spoiled with the spruce, as most if it is pretty straight. I have not hauled, or even been around the popple being logged, but I'm sure it won't be as nice to deal with as the spruce.

drobertson

for 8" building stock, you can get by with smaller it just takes some looking over before each one is started. The length is the other issue, even a slight sweep on smaller saw logs over 12' can eat your lunch with wane at times.  It still is fun, just some head scratching with each saw log, at least for me.  I sawed out one for a fellow for beams like banjo picker showed, 16' 6x10's mostly all heart centered, they turned out good off the mill, but have heard since that all the early rains and humidity he had caused issues with molding, on top of some bowing and twisting, which can happen with SYP,  but from the pictures I saw, his dove tails looked as tight as banjo's,, so I guess this is why the early builders used chinking when building this style of log cabins.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

starmac

Most of the spruce here is pretty forgiving it seems like.
The builders here do not use any chinking, except for looks, they do lay a piece of fiberglass insulation about four inches wide and a 1/2 in thick or so on top and let the weight of the next log mash it down, it is not visable once the next log is set on.

I cut some 6X6's and a couple of 8X8's plus several 4X6's and 12' just playing and learning to use the mill last summer, and even though they were just sit on some dunnage, they stayed straight. There was very little cupping on 1 X8 and 10's Even though, I never properly stacked and stickered it.
Every now and then I would find a log with some tension, from now on they will be used for firewood. lol

drobertson

Close to the same here, an insulating foam type insulator/vapor barrier.  Mainly used between concrete stem walls and treated sill plates. It works, so it looks like you are in for it, no question there are dwellings with a lot less prep work that has stood the test of time.. one fact for sure, log cabins need maintenance, but what dwelling does not,,

starmac

Personally I like the looks of square with chinking better than anything other than natural logs. If and when I build my own, I think this is what I am going with, unless the better half changes my mind. I love the natural full scribed look, but I don't see myself doing that at this stage in life.

dean herring

I cut a 6"x 8" yesterday it looked pretty good for the first one. I'm  going to cut a 6"x12" next , I think its going to look better.
We have lived in a Satterwhite log house for 20 years and we love it . We have porches all the way around so the logs never get wet unless there is a lot of wind. But it need resealing about every 5-7 years

edkemper

I was going to add to this discussion but was also going to add a picture. I have to admit, I have been able to figure out how to post pictures in the past but at this point, it really isn't worth the effort. This is the most difficult forum to post on.
Old Man

Kbeitz

Quote from: edkemper on November 28, 2015, 03:51:29 PM
I was going to add to this discussion but was also going to add a picture. I have to admit, I have been able to figure out how to post pictures in the past but at this point, it really isn't worth the effort. This is the most difficult forum to post on.
I had a very hard time at the beginning also.
When your done typing your message click on the add photos to post in the blue below.
Then when the next page pops up click on the little blue arrow that say select album.
Pick your upload folder.
Then click brouse.
Find your picture file from your computer files and then click on upload file.
After your picture comes in so you can see it move way down the page and click on insert picture in your post.
Thats it.... Your done. Oh... Dont forget to click on the post button.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

beenthere

Don't even have to move way down the page.. the URL to click just below the pic will highlight it. Then just do a copy and paste... easy as pie. Click on the "preview" button before post, to see that the pic is right the way you want it.

If the pic is in .jpg format on your computer, it is easy.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dean herring

Magicman

And I would have to disagree. 

The FF by far has the easiest and most organized picture posting procedure of any forum that I post on or have ever posted on.  Anytime that I want to post a previously posted picture, I click on my gallery, go to the folder, and click on the picture.  I can also use the picture search and locate the thread where it was previously posted. 

It's so simple a caveman 72 year old man can do it.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

If you really want easy check out how thet do it here.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/index.php

Another very good forum.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Outer Rondacker

I would like to see some pics of the houses without chink. That is how my wife and I want to  do ours next spring using the sill seal and no chink. Finding  plans on a dove tail jig for this set up is hard.

drobertson

On youtube there are many illustrations of dove tail fixtures and how to's, just about anything you would need to see, even saddle joints with explanations, fascinating stuff to look at and study while forming so of your own ideas.     

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 28, 2015, 10:18:27 PM

Another very good forum.
Looks like one needs to become a member to see how easy it is :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

dean herring

Me too Outer Rondacker. That is what my son wants to do. I found  some videos on youtube, but I need  some specific  plans like angles and the best size log to use. This is going to be a very fun project.

Kbeitz

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on November 29, 2015, 07:45:47 AM
Quote from: Kbeitz on November 28, 2015, 10:18:27 PM

Another very good forum.
Looks like one needs to become a member to see how easy it is :D
Sorry...

This is what it looks like.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Outer Rondacker

Drobertson I have looked around on YT and still have yet to find the plans-angles of the dove tail cuts for 8wx12tall. The few I have found showing builds are not of flat sitting with no space or chink gap walls.  I will keep up the search and learning but please if you have links or good vids by all means share them. Thanks

Mooseherder

I'm not sure what the issue is but here is a step by step process laid out for posting pictures.
It really only takes less than a minute to post a photo after you've done it a few times.
The picture posting procedure is not going to change here.  The reasons for that have been mentioned many times over. 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0/all.html

Kbeitz

I'm sure it wont change but that does not make it easyer.
I might be the different operating systems that makes it hard.
I don't like changes and I'm still using XP.
I can not load more than one picture at a time and lots of times it errors out.
I learned the hard way to copy my post before I hit the post button or I might loose everything.
I think one part that the new people have problems with is that they need to make a folder first
to put there pictures in. And there needs to be a message telling people that and telling them
that they need to open or choose that folder before uploading.
I know this has been talked about many times but I think talking about it helps the newbees.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Mooseherder

We have members who post pictures on their 1st and second post.
Some people don't like to read instructions so then videos are made to show step by step.
The third and 5th time they spend complaining about it gets old because they don't want to read the directions.  Hundreds of hours have been spent trying to make things easy only to get criticized on how it should be done.
Then the next new member comes and has a different way and things should conform to the way they like to do it and your way will be wrong.

Thank You Sponsors!