iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 66, anybody have one? any feedback?

Started by Emorris191145, November 25, 2015, 03:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emorris191145

I am a noob here n have just purchased a Husqvarna 66, anybody have one? any feedback at all? So far I love it! cuts everything I throw at it n never bogs down. The only thing is, I cant find any service manuals or anything about it, I have found that the 266 is pretty much the same but how close is "pretty much"? Any input is greatly appreciated. BTW I got the saw for 250$ with a 20" bar n a VERY worn, chain which I'm picking up a new one tomorrow.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

A short search on the Forum came up with some info on the 66 in this thread.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=5736.0
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lumberjack48

The Husqvarna 66 came out in 1980

The Husqvarna 266 came out in 1981, the 66 and the 266 are both 66.7 cc [ 4.1 cu. in. ] I never did own a 66, but i bought about 10, 266's. Nice saw to run, balanced and lots of torque, makes for quick limbing saw. Very nice pulpwood saw and all the power you need to take 40 inch pine down.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Dave Shepard

I have one. It's been a great saw. A bit heavy by today's standards, but I've only replaced rubber mounts on it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

BradMarks

Never saw the 66.  I remember the 65 being a heavy, vibrating saw.  We ran the 61's at the time.

sablatnic

I have never seen one either. Could it be an open ported 266?

If you need rubber mounts for it, remember to check if it has a plastic tank or a metal tank. That series of saws were delivered with both types, and the rubber mounts are different and not interchangeable.

Spike60

66 is an open port saw. (not the "bad thing' that many make it out to be.) It uses the same cylinder as the non-XP 268 which replaced it in the lineup. 66 shares the same twin coil ignition as the 266 and all first generation saws in this family. And the 66 was near the end of that first generation and therefore has the plastic tank that takes the course thread mounts. I think it was only on the market for a couple years here in the US so you don't see very many of them.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

SawTroll

Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: lumberjack48 on November 25, 2015, 11:40:28 AM
  The Husqvarna 66 came out in 1980

Acres in wrong about 1980, it came out in 1987, and was replaced by the open port non-xp 268 in 1991, at least on "Western" markets. Production of the 66 may have been continued at the TOMOS factory in Slovenia though, for East European etc. markets - at least they were sold there much later than 1991....

The 66 and the mentioned 268 share the same top end, but a lot of other stuff is different.
Information collector.

lumberjack48

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

lumberjack48

I bought one of these L65'S in the mid 70's, this has to be one of the poorest balanced saws Husqvarna built, next to the 380 or the 480.

SawTroll

Quote from: lumberjack48 on November 25, 2015, 05:25:59 PM
  I bought one of these L65'S in the mid 70's, this has to be one of the poorest balanced saws Husqvarna built, next to the 380 or the 480.

It is a design from the mid 1960s, and was badly outdated 10 years later. Development was fast back then.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!