iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Technical tree

Started by CCC4, November 23, 2015, 10:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

My skidder OP in training found himself against a tree today. Just so happened it was a White Oak with massive problems. I was called off the hillside to "fix" it. Massive splitting in main body all the way into the stump, top was bowed to the ground with both leaders twisted nearly off.

I got the cut made and here is how I did it. I first took pressure off the top by cutting the leaders in sections till they were off the ground and elevated about 6ft. I threw in a fairly steep Humbolt, gutted what was left of the heart from the face until I could see saw dust blowing out the cracks in the back. I crawled under the skidder and let her go...everything went well except for having the saw yanked out of my hand.

sandsawmill14

did you put a hard hat on the skidder ??? :D :D :D
but seriously those real dangerous glad you got it down safely. great job!!! smiley_thumbsup
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

treeslayer2003

did you beat the skidder op for getting jammed like that?  :snowball:

CCC4

LOL! Nah Mike, he a good kid, he is 24 and has a lot to learn...I think he got an earful from the other skidder Op that came and got me. I believe he got the, "Could you have gotten up against a more dangerous tree for our faller?" LOL! I kept my head and just focused on what I might be able to do to get him back to skidding. I only fly off the handle on Tuesdays  ;D

treeslayer2003

lol, stay safe out there brother.

CCC4

Always mang! Thanks and you stay safe out there also...who else would talk to me for hours on the phone!?? LOL!

so il logger

Fire the skidder op that put you in that position  :D

Plus you haven't called me in awhile  ;D

Be safe brother

mills

Dang it boy! That looks like one that would chase you up under the skidder.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

timberlinetree

Yikes! Those are no fun. Slid off the skid trail coming down a mountain in the winter and wound up like that. 2' of snow made it real fun. Nice job! Work safe out there!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

47sawdust

That's like being between a rock and a hard place.....and having to use a chainsaw.Good job and even better attitude about your help.When it comes out good like that you can get a lot of good humored mileage out of retelling the story.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Autocar

The best one I ever saw skidder slide sideways on a hill and a 12/14 inch hardmaple was between the front and rear tires. The cutter jumped up on the roof of the 460 Timberjack and put his falling notch and cut it down then cut the stub off. Wasn't the safest but about the only way to get lose.
Bill

so il logger

I replied before in this thread telling op to fire the skidder op as a joke.  :D Earlier this year CCC4 had to cut my skidder free on a hillside. I will admit that i am not much of a skidder operator  :D Slick hill side's and nearly bald tire's don't agree. I will be chaining up the next time i go to a hilly tract. And hopefully I am not driving the skidder  ;D i'm better suited for felling duty than skidding

WDH

You could fire yourself  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Caveman

so il logger

Quote from: WDH on November 26, 2015, 07:38:00 AM
You could fire yourself  :D.

Trust me I was embarrassed  enough that i wanted to fire myself  :D

Had been years since I had done much skidding

lumberjack48

I had the wife come an get me, she said the skidder slid over against a tree, its in between the tires and theres no way to get out. I took a look and told her a good operator could get out of that predicament. She says drive it out, i said no, if i drive it out your not learning on how to get it out with out sawing the tree down. I told her to give it a try, take your time i know you can get it out. With that being said i left and went to falling. It was about 15 to 20 minuets here she comes with the skidder, and a Big smile. She was a happy operator, I DID, I DID IT, I DID IT. 8) 8)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lopet

Good thing skidders have winches.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

so il logger

Quote from: lopet on November 26, 2015, 07:35:19 PM
Good thing skidders have winches.

In the right predicament a winch does no good, especially on a grapple machine. And depending on the slope, hard to winch a 15 ton machine sideways up a steep slope  :) Or in my case as mentioned before the skidder was facing uphill and slid to the side, wedging itself. Unless there would have been another skidder winching from the top pulling mine to the side there was absolutely no way it would come out without cutting the tree. It happen's just part of it.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: lumberjack48 on November 26, 2015, 12:56:30 PM
  I had the wife come an get me, she said the skidder slid over against a tree, its in between the tires and theres no way to get out. I took a look and told her a good operator could get out of that predicament. She says drive it out, i said no, if i drive it out your not learning on how to get it out with out sawing the tree down. I told her to give it a try, take your time i know you can get it out. With that being said i left and went to falling. It was about 15 to 20 minuets here she comes with the skidder, and a Big smile. She was a happy operator, I DID, I DID IT, I DID IT. 8) 8)
yup. i'm glad you said it lol. most people just don't want to take time to figure out how to get out of the jam. it can be done, but not in a hurry.

Thank You Sponsors!