iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Met a Bloke in Queensland Australia with a homemade slabber

Started by flatrock58, November 23, 2015, 08:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

While on vacation in Queensland Australia this month I was going down a road in Boogan QLD Australia and saw a sign saying slabs for sale.  This guy  had built his own chainsaw slabber similar to a Lucas mill in design but with a VW motor and all metal rail system.  He was cutting mostly rain forest hardwood.  The wood was really nice and big.  He had one piece that I believe was iron wood that felt like picking up a piece of metal it was so heavy.  Also he said they always have a strong breeze and hot weather and he never has to use a kiln, just air drys it.  Had a good visit and he showed me the slabs, his mill and all the nice cabinets and flooring he made in the house he built.  It was a really interesting visit.  Sure wish I could have brought some of that wood back.  His web site is http://www.tropictimbers.com.au/.

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

thecfarm

Interesting.Never know who you will meet and what you will find.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

5quarter

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

ScottAR

The flooring sander in the background of the first pic is telling...   :P

Great pics.... Looks like treasure to me.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

longtime lurker

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

flatrock58

He had a planer and just planed the wood on both sides to flatten.  I didn't even notice the floor sander. 
Longtime lurker.  I searched on the internet for sawmills, but didn't find much close.  I wish I had know you were there and I would have.  We were in Cairns four days then drove down to Bowen before flying to Sydney.  The rain forest around Josephine falls and up at Mossman were something to see.  Of course when you have a sawmill you don't just see pretty trees any more, instead you imagine what kind of slabs and lumber you can cut.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

flatrock58

Longtime Lurker.  Just looked up your location on your profile.  I was went right past you on A1 after we left Mission Beach.  Was I right about the heavy dense lumber being called iron wood?
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

drobertson

That just sounds awesome, it had to be a great trip, that slabber looks pretty good,, as does his finish products, beautiful wood,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

longtime lurker

Quote from: flatrock58 on November 24, 2015, 05:04:28 AM
Longtime Lurker.  Just looked up your location on your profile.  I was went right past you on A1 after we left Mission Beach.  Was I right about the heavy dense lumber being called iron wood?

Yup and its well named. Its hard when its green and near on impossible when its dry. Runs at 3820 on the Janka scale... green.

I live at South Mission. (Yah, it gets hard to leave home some mornings)
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

flatrock58

Mission beach is a pretty place.  I can't believe how much it has grown since I stayed there 25 years ago when we stayed at the Rainforest motel!  Wish I would have been there before stinger season.  Such a shame to have so many pretty beaches and not be able to swim in the ocean.

For those who have not been to Queensland northern beaches here is what you have to look out for.  I am told the jellyfish can put you in the ICU or in some cases kill you. 

6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

longtime lurker

Yeah well, it's paradise : what don't bite you and kill you will just eat your a$$ whole.
For 6 months of the year we only swim in the ocean with stinger suits on, and for 12 months of the year we don't go into the swamps.

But most morning,  right there in front of the house...

flatrock58

6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

longtime lurker

Yup. Great Granddad sold it for 800 pounds. Kinda wish he hadn't...

Thank You Sponsors!