iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strange "core" in pin oak - help ID cause

Started by cptreeclimber86, November 23, 2015, 04:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cptreeclimber86

Yesterday I cut down a large pin oak and as I was cutting it I noticed a center "core" to the wood that was separated from the rest of the wood. Can anyone explain what happened?

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Of course don't know for sure, but suspect there was damage to the cambium layer when that tree was of a certain age which didn't kill the tree.. and it may have been something traumatic that caused a bacterial infection in that growth ring..

Neat pic of what happened. Is the saw resting on the core that came out? Or was the core rotted wood?

Do us a favor, click on your forum name and you will go to where you can update your profile and add at least your location. Helps to understand your posts and easier to give help.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

treeslayer2003

shake. this is why we docked when we think it is a good log. of course this is severe and easy to spot. its fire wood, lumber won't be any good.

sandsawmill14

i cut a red oak like that last winter core slid out at about 12-14" dia. the tree was about 36" dia and showed no signs of defect until it hit the ground. the core didnt even make good fire wood but the rest would burn ok :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Decked

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on November 23, 2015, 07:38:57 PM
i cut a red oak like that last winter core slid out at about 12-14" dia. the tree was about 36" dia and showed no signs of defect until it hit the ground. the core didnt even make good fire wood but the rest would burn ok :)

An old sawmiller here had a saying, 'Ya can't judge a tree by it's bark"  ;)

so il logger

As treeslayer already said.... shake. Iv'e seen them come apart like that out in the wood's. My father in law hate's it when they come undone on the circular sawmill  ;D

mills

I've been told that was fire damage.

The last guy I cut on asked me to save any trees that were hollow on the end. He wanted to cut them into firewood chunks to burn in his fire pit. I haven't seen them, but he told me that you can buy them at the big farm stores.  :o

Apparently, I been leaving a lot of money in the woods.

Ron Wenrich

Agree that it's shake.  I've seen it in mainly oak.  Was it solid in the core?  I've seen heart rot very similar to that, which probably started out like that and the center rotted out.  Solid cores make it interesting when you saw through them in the mill.  It's like milling two logs at once. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on November 24, 2015, 06:11:27 AM
It's like milling two logs at once. 

yup, and hopefully if its a big log, it doesn't fall apart on top of the saw.  Its weird when you have the corners fall off and all of the sudden you have a log again! :)   Neat post. Brought back a lot of memories of running the big mill. Can't believe it has been almost 10 years since I left.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

coxy

some of our ash does that but only about a 2-4in circle

Gearbox

save it for chimney logs for fire pit . Cut vent holes in one end and stand it up in the fire pit . fill the center with kindling and light it then add wood as needed . They burn a long time .  Cedar 24 inches with a chainsawed face for draft was selling for $20 last year at flea markets .  Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Jeff

That log has to be destined for something with a more creative use than just firewood!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!