iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

89 511b Hydro Ax

Started by timberjack 450, November 22, 2015, 08:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack 450

I just bought a Hydro ax with a hot saw. It is an 89 but in very good condition. It has a lever on the right side of the seat that the previous owner says is for Hi Low. But also on the left side of the seat is a toggle switch for hi and low. The lever is very hard to move. I have to articulate the machine to move it. Why are there to different ways to put in hi or low? Also is there any place I could look for manuals on this machine and where do I locate the serial # ?
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor
Almost forgot, and a very patient woman

BargeMonkey

What is the engine and trans ??? I've got one sitting here, with the fwd-Rev and 4spd set up with a detroit 453. I've got the factory books if your looking for something.

kiko

The high low shifter being somewhat stiff is normal.  It is cable control so it could be the cable needs to be lubed .  When moving the shifter from high to low you are changing the gear range in the transmission, it is meant  to be shifted when stopped and sometimes mashing the travel pedal slightly or articulation is necessary to make the change. The toggle high low controls the displacement of the hydrostatic drive motor.  Felling should be typically done with the manual shift in low and the toggle in high. 

timberjack 450

Thanks for the replys. I am looking to buy an operators manual and maybe a service manual. Probably gonna be real hard to find being the machine is so old. I would post a pic but I can't figure out how on here.
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor

redprospector

Quote from: timberjack 450 on November 23, 2015, 05:08:58 AM
Thanks for the replys. I am looking to buy an operators manual and maybe a service manual. Probably gonna be real hard to find being the machine is so old. I would post a pic but I can't figure out how on here.
Might not be as hard as you think to find manuals. But it may be more costly than you think.  :D
I got on line and found a Hydro-Ax/Prentice/Caterpillar dealer that was willing to look up the books for my 311C. I got a parts manual, operators manual, a service manual, and the original build sheet for a mere $300 (it was a little less than that, but not much). Money well spent in my opinion.

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

timberjack 450

I haven't had time to look yet, but does anyone know where the serial # plate would be? And also I was wondering if the handle for the front end could be rebushed. It is pretty loose. Hard to tip forward and open arms at the same time. Who sells Hydro ax parts? I see it has franklin rears. Would be hard finding parts I bet. 

BargeMonkey

I know they take a special socket to work on the ring and pinion, I have one if you needed it. I have a complete manual for the machine sitting here, I would mail it to you if you wanted to make a copy. I haven't even found the one on mine yet, I think it's in the cab on the front cab corner.

Logger RK

I know this is a old thread,but did you find a place to get a service manual for a Hydro Ax 511B? I just bought one last week & it'd be handy to have. It's a lot different then my 311. I see on mine,the model & serial number are stamped on the right side frame,under the removable side cover. 

scottishlogger

Hello, I am a Timber Contractor based in North of Scotland and have just joined Forestry Forum. I recently acquired a Hydro Ax 511B with 8 foot flail deck. I was interested to note you had a manual for this machine and would be very interested in a copy or purchasing. I am unsure of deck make/model as no I.D. plate, it has 4 swinging blades and 8 concave chipper teeth bolted to disc. I am trying to source Quadco beaver teeth (new style-2 piece) but Baileys do not ship to UK. Any advice info appreciated. Thanks

kiko

Do you have a quadco part number?

snowstorm

quadco sold out to komatsu a while back. everyone said nothing would change. here in maine both the komstsu and cat dealers handle quadco. i would expect they have a dealer in europe some where. i used to call erriki at quadco when i needed tech help with my keto head. one time i called the phone connection seemed better than some times he was in Chile. he said they sell a lot of equipment down there

scottishlogger

Thanks for the replies, the teeth part no. I was requiring is QH10120T's or QH10096T's. Quadco in St-Eustache Canada has kindly agreed to supply and I am waiting on delivery. Any further info on manuals or flail gratefully received.

Thank You Sponsors!