iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Upcycled Cutting Board

Started by lowpolyjoe, November 22, 2015, 06:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

When we removed the really really really old electric oven from our house when we moved in, we saved a butcher-block that was attached to the front of it.  It was an incredible looking electric appliance.  I wish I had a pic.

So the long thin butcher block board has been hiding out in the garage for probably ~7 years.   Our kitchen remodel is 90% complete and we need some cutting boards to keep things (like hot pots) off the granite.  I went to work to upcycle the old piece into a new cutting board

It was pretty gross. 

Progress on the left side

Other side was even nastier.  Before

After (although I cleaned it up a bit more after this pic)

A wider board works better for what we need.... so chop

And glue

There was a bevel along one edge - and after the rearrangement I get a bevel on 2 edge.  I thought that was great for getting fingers under the edges to pick up the board but my wife doesn't like it  :(.  Not sure what i'll do with the edges now

bkaimwood

Nice!! But don't be afraid to set hot stuff on granite...it doesn't care...quartz and some other stuff does, but not granite...
bk

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: bkaimwood on November 22, 2015, 07:48:07 PM
Nice!! But don't be afraid to set hot stuff on granite...it doesn't care...quartz and some other stuff does, but not granite...

Thanks.  We've heard conflicting things about what's safe for granite.  Also heard different things about how much you have to care for it (seal it).  We spent a bit extra to get some fancy granite we really like, so we're being very careful with it :).   For now, anyway  :D

bkaimwood

I would do the same...they say to seal granite once a year...I'm particular, so I'd do it at least twice that, it won't hurt, and sealer is relatively inexpensive. I've done plenty of granite work and can't tell you the guys that say heat doesn't bother it are the correct ones...you can also use granite as a cutting board, it won't scratch it...but it will ruin the knives, so I wouldn't do that either!!! Look forward to seeing your project done. Maybe we'll get to see the new project all done and together!???
bk

Thank You Sponsors!