iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting ready to pour my long awaited slab.

Started by Dave Shepard, November 22, 2015, 06:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

We got the form done today. 8'x60'. Long enough for a12' and 24' extension. Going to do a two foot grid of rebar next. I can't wait to get my stationary legs on the mill and bolt everything down. 8)

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

YellowHammer

Nicely done.  From the photo, it looks like the mill is already tugging at the leash to get on its new pad.    :)
Congratulations on the upgrade, especially now that the weather is turning wet and soggy. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

jmouton

that will be real nice when its done ,,,  we did the same thing  except  ours is 35 x 14  ,  we did 2x2 on our rebar too  worked good until i dropped  a 32 inch  16 ft  oak log  on it and cracked it  ,, oh well  it is alot nicer to be on concrete than  gravel   ,,,get it done before it starts  gettin real cold concrete does not cure very well in cold ,,,,   i do concrete for a living  ,,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

jmouton

oh ya   ,, by the way dave ,,,  use 6 bag concrete with only limestone ,,,, none of this other crap called cementicious ,,,its not good and not as strong even if your concrete dist says it is ,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Chuck White

Dave, will you be putting down plastic sheeting for a vapor barrier?

You could get condensation coming up through the concrete, and you could have the gravel sucking the water out of the mix without it, neither of which is good!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Andries

That pad will be a big improvement.
I'm jealous Dave, it'll be level, strong, easier to clean, and best of all, it'll stay put!
As the frost comes into the ground here, I'll have to constantly be fussing with re-aligning my setup 'til mid-winter.
Then, as Spring comes, time to start all over.  ::)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

isawlogs

Having a dry area to work off of...  8)  Get your hands on some rubber mats to walk on. Your feet will love you for it !!!!!    :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dave Shepard

I think we are putting down 6 mil poly, but we are putting something for sure. Waiting to hear if we are putting the rebar in tonight. I might need to find a miner's headlamp, though. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I sure would like to write "Goat was here" in the wet cement.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

jmouton

just put your hoof print instead,,  poston,, :D :D :D

jim

Dave Shepard

Rebar and plastic is in. Moved the mill out of the way. Did some rough grading and got a pile of gravel staged. Now I just have to watch the weather.

barbender

With the cost of Redi-mix, I always screed my base with sand to get it right on so I don't have to waste so much mud. I've seen guys pour a house and garage slab and have 6 yards extra :o That's because they spend minimal time on the prep and then just order way too much mud too compensate. This is my most extreme example of this, I've seen a lot of more minor examples- my point is it usually pays to spend a little extra time on the prep. It's satisfying to know there is only 1/2 a yard left over, rather than 2 1/2. Either way, your sawmill and you are going to be happy on that slab, Dave!
Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

My grade is pretty DanG close. Put the form boards on and had to lift the far right corner about 1/2", and had to dig in the close end about 1" for a few feet. I knew the close end was a little high, but it was dark, and it was the finish end and time for supper. :D I set the grade in the stone using a laser level. I rake it off until I get a "high" beep. That is usually less than an inch total deviation. Hard to be more accurate when you are working with a coarse aggregate.

landscraper

Quote from: barbender on November 29, 2015, 06:41:59 PM
With the cost of Redi-mix, I always screed my base with sand to get it right on so I don't have to waste so much mud.

So I'm not the only tightwad after all!  With 3000psi going for $115 a yard down here (just got a 5% price increase announcement for the new year too - hurray!) I can't afford to waste a wheelbarrow load due to sloppy forms and grading.  I tell my guys all the time that we don't get bonused on being thicker than spec, just penalized for being thin.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

rasman57

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 29, 2015, 06:14:27 PM
Rebar and plastic is in. Moved the mill out of the way. Did some rough grading and got a pile of gravel staged. Now I just have to watch the weather.

Looking good!  What does the plastic barrier do for your slab? 

Banjo picker

It will help keep it dryer...stop water from wicking up from the ground.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Dave Shepard

We did our pour today. Ran short, despite being assured they could get more than enough on the truck. Fortunately there was another truck ten minutes away that had just finished a pour and had enough left to finish mine with less than a wheelbarrow left over. 8) It was floated, then finished with a "Fresno", which left a great finish for what I'm doing.

brendonv

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Dave Shepard

Yes it is! Next, I need to figure out how to span 60'. :)

Darrel

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 11, 2015, 07:30:25 PM
Yes it is! Next, I need to figure out how to span 60'. :)

It's called cantilever. I know of no other way.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

mapleack

For the 60' span I'd check scrap yards for steel roof trusses. The kind you'd see in a walmart or lowes store ceiling.
Norwood LM2000

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

jwilly3879

Poured my garage slab last week, 20x30, enough for the wife's car, a place to work on stuff out of the weather and to store my tools which are scattered through 3 different sheds on three pieces of property. 14 yards of 4000 psi concrete.

Dave Shepard

I got about half way through the demobilization process this afternoon. I have to attach the BX tomorrow and then start the leveling process. It's sure going to be nice not having that axle in the way! Just waiting for the next person to ask me if my mill is portable. Sure, if you can pick up a 15 ton slab with a mill bolted to it. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!