iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FFA Forestry (pics)

Started by caveman, November 22, 2015, 09:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Recently, the Kathleen High School FFA forestry team won their second National title.  Two weeks later, November 12 and 13th, Kathleen's other forestry team competed in the Florida FFA Forestry finals in Perry, Fl.  The young/inexperienced team worked hard and ended up finishing in 4th place (only one of the team members participated in a FFA forestry event prior to this school year).  Many of the completing teams have years' of experience.  Pictures:::::::::

Caveman

caveman

OOPS!  I posted without adding pictures.  Me no too smart.

Students working on dendrology test.  They have to be able to identify 50 different species by common and Latin names.

Another day.  Dendro and forest disorders test.  The boy holding the jar up is either looking at Ips Engraver Beetles or Ambrosia Beetles.  They have 44 forest disorders to be able to i.d. (bugs, damage, larvae, description, photos or actual samples).

The picture of all of the kids on the trailer are both the state and the national teams.  We were traveling down to the woods behind my neighbor's house to work on timber estimation, compass and pacing, and team activities.

Dylan measuring diameter on a pine.

twig girdler damage

Ambrosia Beetle damage

We stopped at O'Leno State Park on Veteran's day on our way to Perry.  On one of the trails we walked we came upon a large loblolly pine that had be struck by lightning.  The students were looking for bugs.  The ambrosia beetles were producing a lot of dust.

Only one of the team members is graduating this year.  All of the rest have at least two more years of high school so they will have an opportunity to learn a lot more and hopefully participate in more forestry cde's.  The team that will represent Florida at the national contest next year is from Durant High School in Plant City.  Once a student wins a state FFA CDE they are not allowed to participate in that CDE again at the state level (Florida) and also following participation in a national CDE, they cannot participate at the state or district levels.  This is why our students were less experienced than many of their competitors.
Caveman
Caveman

sandhills

jwade

really nice work, a lot to be proud of there. it is my opinion that there needs to be a lot more of these programs in our public school systems. a hearty well done to all of those young participants.

Thank You Sponsors!