iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

And I paid for this!

Started by timberlinetree, November 22, 2015, 09:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

It was a lot of fun crossing the Gw bridge in NY. First I had to pay $14 , then hit a pot hole and then stopped in traffic @ 4am on the bridge. That was worth it >:(.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

yukon cornelius

not good! the day can only get better from there though.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

azmtnman

I don't envy you eastern guys! My traffic jams usually involve cows in the road.  :D :D :D I probably won't see as many cars all day long as what was on that bridge the amount of time you were!
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

sawguy21

That has got to be very frustrating. :'(  We moved from the Vancouver area in April, we can't take the noise and congestion anymore
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

starmac

I trucked all over the lower 48 for years, stayed out of the NE as much as possible, I do not think I have the patience to deal with the traffic down there anymore. The only state I never found myself in was Maine.
Here, even in Los Anchorage, rush hour is a 30 minute deal, and can't even begin to compare with any city down south as far as traffic goes.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

dgdrls

I left "Down State" some 26 years ago,  my two sisters are still "Upstate" in Westchester.
If its over the Bronx/Yonkers line its Upstate past there you fall off the edge of the earth ;)

Traffic was terrible when I left,  I have visited from time to time and its only become worse
by an exponential factor.  The city has always been crazy, but the migration/traffic up-river
into the Hudson Highlands and north has changed the area and not in a good way IMHO.

Dan

thecfarm

I've been across that a few times.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

Thats nothing.....

I tell everyone Dominican Republic is NY city traffic times 10.
On top of that they mix in dogs, horses, 1000's of small cycles, people selling goods on the street
and anything else you can imagine.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

MikeON

Quote from: azmtnman on November 22, 2015, 09:24:12 AM
I don't envy you eastern guys! My traffic jams usually involve cows in the road.  :D :D :D I probably won't see as many cars all day long as what was on that bridge the amount of time you were!
I was in Yellowstone Park a few months ago.  One time, traffic was backed up a few miles.  Would creep ahead very slowly, then stop, then creep ahead again.  After about 1/2 hour of this, we saw what the problem was.  A single bison was walking down the middle of the road. 
Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

sawguy21

They don't move off the road for anybody as if to say "You feeling lucky today punk?"  :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: dgdrls on November 22, 2015, 04:39:18 PM
I left "Down State" some 26 years ago,  my two sisters are still "Upstate" in Westchester.
If its over the Bronx/Yonkers line its Upstate past there you fall off the edge of the earth ;)

Traffic was terrible when I left,  I have visited from time to time and its only become worse
by an exponential factor.  The city has always been crazy, but the migration/traffic up-river
into the Hudson Highlands and north has changed the area and not in a good way IMHO.

Dan
:D
I left upper Westchester County 36 years ago, Croton-on-the-Hudson.  Had the "opportunity" to work in The City but didn't want to do the 1 hour train and 30 minute subway each way to get to the Twin Towers.  I opted for the laid back Sacramento lifestyle.  We have traffic jambs here now that might delay you 20 or 30 minutes :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Brad_bb

Are you telling me the toll for the bridge was $14?  Just to cross the bridge?!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ianab

Quote from: Brad_bb on November 24, 2015, 07:45:27 PM
Are you telling me the toll for the bridge was $14?  Just to cross the bridge?!

it would appear so.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/12/07/latest-toll-hikes-take-effect-on-port-authority-bridges-and-tunnels/

QuoteStarting at 3 a.m. Sunday, the tolls jumped 75 cents for cars with E-ZPass, costing $9.75 for off-peak hours and $11.75 for peak times. It's up $1 for cash tolls, bringing the total to $14 at all hours.

This would be why I like living in a small town..

A traffic jam here is when I get to the roundabout at the main highway, and there is already a log truck, a milk tanker and a tractor there.  :D  (We don't have any traffic lights... )
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

azmtnman

Quote from: MikeON on November 24, 2015, 06:55:59 AM

I was in Yellowstone Park a few months ago.  One time, traffic was backed up a few miles.  Would creep ahead very slowly, then stop, then creep ahead again.  After about 1/2 hour of this, we saw what the problem was.  A single bison was walking down the middle of the road.
A bison would be way cooler than just a plain ole cow! We have elk but they don't waste time standing on the road!  :D :D :D
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

timberlinetree

I do like tractor jams. I think I did get a little bonus for the $14 I spent to cross the bridge. I had a little cough when I got home and felt yucky on top of it but that could be from the whole trip although there is  a lot of fumes in NY city. I like living on our mountain.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Gadrock

Well...One time at band camp.....

david g

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

coxy

Quote from: timberlinetree on November 25, 2015, 05:42:07 AM
I do like tractor jams. I think I did get a little bonus for the $14 I spent to cross the bridge. I had a little cough when I got home and felt yucky on top of it but that could be from the whole trip although there is  a lot of fumes in NY city. I like living on our mountain.
I cant believe you don't like our shipy city and low tolls  :D :D :D I only live 21/2 hours away and only been there twice and that was 3times to many  :)

edkemper

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 24, 2015, 02:09:53 PM
I left upper Westchester County 36 years ago, Croton-on-the-Hudson.  Had the "opportunity" to work in The City but didn't want to do the 1 hour train and 30 minute subway each way to get to the Twin Towers.  I opted for the laid back Sacramento lifestyle.  We have traffic jambs here now that might delay you 20 or 30 minutes :D

A friend often calls from Sacramento (my town for 29 years) when driving in traffic on the 5 to get home, just to catch up. I drove in that traffic for decades and watched as the traffic grew. Then I moved to Rural Southern Oregon.

Now when my friend calls, I complain about traffic I faced going downtown. It's either a deer walking down the street or we actually have a "real" traffic jamb. Usually cleared and flowing again within 20-30 seconds.

For some reason, that tends to illicit a few choice words from him.
Old Man

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: edkemper on November 28, 2015, 04:33:22 PM
Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 24, 2015, 02:09:53 PM

A friend often calls from Sacramento (my town for 29 years) when driving in traffic on the 5 to get home, just to catch up. I drove in that traffic for decades and watched as the traffic grew. Then I moved to Rural Southern Oregon.

Now when my friend calls, I complain about traffic I faced going downtown. It's either a deer walking down the street or we actually have a "real" traffic jamb. Usually cleared and flowing again within 20-30 seconds.

For some reason, that tends to illicit a few choice words from him.
OK, you must be a Southern California native :D  Up here, it is "on I5", down south you're "on the 5". :D  I make fun of my nieces who live down there.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

edkemper

John,

Born in San Fernando Valley. The house we lived in when I was born was demolished to build the 405. Moved to Sacto in '83.

Good catch.
Old Man

Ljohnsaw

I was born in the S.F. valley as well, Canoga Park.  But I moved to NY at 11 before I was corrupted with that speech impediment  ;)
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!