iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band lub below 32 degrees

Started by mapletree, November 22, 2015, 12:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mapletree

What is the best lub for a band blade below freezing?

redprospector

That's kind of like asking everyone what their favorite beverage is. You're going to get a lot of different answers.

Personally, I like diesel year around.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Andries

Windshield washer fluid.
Rated for -40 degrees.
. . . . 'cause thats what works here.
(We're North of Normal)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

bkaimwood

Wondering what ratio you use redprospector, if any?
bk

Joe Hillmann

I use a winter blend diesel.  And when that gels up I take that as a sign it is too cold to run the mill

drobertson

Quote from: Andries on November 22, 2015, 01:20:07 AM
Windshield washer fluid.
Rated for -40 degrees.
. . . . 'cause thats what works here.
(We're North of Normal)
same here, and I still add a shot of pin-sol with it as well,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ladylake

Diesel, a drop every 2 or 3 seconds.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mapletree

Thank you for the replies.  I had not thought about windshield washer.

Dave Shepard

I've been running straight windshield washer. I don't usually run much lube on fresh wood. Resawing usually gums things up, however.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

justallan1

I find windshield washer fluid when it's on sale at Walmart for $2 and add a couple glugs of Pinesol for good measure.
When I'm sawing pine and find a pitchy log I take it off the mill and call it firewood. It's just not worth the hassle and time to mess some of them for me.

Ox

75% diesel and 25% bar oil here, year round.  Works great.  And, like ladylake, 1 drop every 2-3 seconds.  Quiet and clean and uses much less that you'd ever think with no staining of the wood.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

ladylake

Running diesel in the winter is a lot cheaper than washer fluid , takes at the most 1/2 gal per day and it keeps the blade real clean.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

samandothers

I fall in the windshield washer group.

Banjo picker

mapletree, what kind of mill do you have?  If you run one with solid steel wheels the diesel won't hurt a thing.  I have a cooks with metal band wheels, and I use diesel.  If I run one that had belts on the wheels, I would probably reconsider and use something else.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Nomad

It only gets below freezing here enough most winters to be a pita.  But if I don't pay attention I can crack a lubemizer pump, and that's a REAL pita!  WW fluid in the wintertime.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

In the Winter, I purge my Lubemizer pump with pure WW fluid.  Our available WW fluid is usually 0° which is OK straight but not so much diluted.  RV-Marine fluid is -50° so it is my choice for diluting.

Of course, our cold is not as cold as the frigid glaciated regions.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redprospector

Quote from: bkaimwood on November 22, 2015, 06:25:35 AM
Wondering what ratio you use redprospector, if any?
I just run straight diesel. I used to run some bar oil mixed with it, but really haven't noticed any difference since I quit doing it. If it gets cold enough to gell the diesel, add a little heet, or power service to keep it flowing.

To the guy's using windshield washer fluid, look into buying it by the drum. I use it in my skidder tires. The last I bought was under a buck a gallon (can't remember exactly, but like 80 cents a gallon). I bought winter blend concentrate. You'd have to water it down some to keep from turning everything blue, but at 50/50 it didn't freeze when we hit 27 below a couple of years ago. Just food for thought.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Napoleon1

if you use windshield washer fluid you need to find a auto detailer and buy the concentrate by the gallon it will make quite a few gallons cheaper.

Grizzly

Quote from: ladylake on November 22, 2015, 10:17:17 AM
Running diesel in the winter is a lot cheaper than washer fluid , takes at the most 1/2 gal per day and it keeps the blade real clean.  Steve

Yep. I can't seem to find WW fluid or RV anti-freeze for less than $2.50/liter and I can buy diesel for $1.14/liter

Quote from: Magicman on November 22, 2015, 09:01:54 PM
Of course, our cold is not as cold as the frigid glaciated regions.  :o

:D :D  Only for 8 months of the years! After that we have fairly poor sledding for the summer........... ;D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

bkaimwood

Seems WW fluid gets the most votes for us fellas with belted band wheels...I'd like to run diesel but seems it may be too risky on a WM...
bk

Magicman

I have never seen the need for Diesel.  Watch the blade and if any buildup is evident, run the blade with a full lube flow until the buildup disappears.  Usually a few seconds is all that is needed. 

My lube mix is one glug, (about 2 oz) of liquid Cascade per gallon of water.  LINK

LittleJohn

...I hardly ever run lube, but when I do its WW fliud with a couple of glugs of pinesol (like someone else stated)

But I also hardly every run fresh logs thru my mill (WM), that is mostly because milling a hobby of mine, and log will typically sit on the landing for at least a solid month before milling.  All a good chunk of the logs are either dead or dying by the time I get to them.

Remle

Quote from: bkaimwood on November 23, 2015, 05:52:54 AM
Seems WW fluid gets the most votes for us fellas with belted band wheels...I'd like to run diesel but seems it may be too risky on a WM...
We each have our own take on this subject,so here's mine.
I cut mainly white pine, with lots of pitch.
In the 12 yrs I have owned it, I have never had a belt failure due to diesel as lubricant on my WM.
I think every one will agree, that water is necessary to create rust, so much that we all would like to have our mill under cover to protect it from the elements ! So why do they then continue to pour water on it ? My mill sits idle for long periods of time, rather than have it soaked with water rusting away at the bearings/ ect. I prefer the diesel as lubricant, preventing rust, your bands will not rust nearly as bad either. So my advice is to try it, what do you have to loose ?

Dave Shepard

I ran diesel on the mill I learned on. No belt problems. I also have not had any rusting problems using water or WW.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!