iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band lub below 32 degrees

Started by mapletree, November 22, 2015, 12:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

I have run only windsheild washer or water and some kind of soap or other (depending on time of year). The rust on my mill came from the road salts here not from the lub tank, as the bottom of my batery box and front of my fuse box need replacing du to rust. I got to fabricate both of them this winter.  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ladylake

I'd run diesel all year if it didn't smell, no belt problems..  In the winter I use diesel around 1/2 gallon a day  vs around 4 gallons a day for WW fluid and the diesel keeps the blade cleaner. IF I was down south where it didn't freeze often most likely would be water.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

slider

I saw quiet a bit of pine.Some is heart pine,very heavy in pitch.I have used many different types of lube.My choice in pine is diesel .It takes very little and it get"s the job done.
I have belted wheels so i set the lubemizer on the lowest setting which is a squirt about every 7 seconds.If i get buildup i flip to full flow for just a bit to clean the band and keep sawing.
Other than diesel,cotton picker spindle cleaner was my favorite but not cheap.
Cascade worked well but left a white caustic residue on the mill that i did not care fore.
al glenn

bkaimwood

Guess I don't have anything to loose, remle...being I'm on my third set of b57 belts at 120 hours...due to extreme pitch..I've resawed heart pine beams that had the blade not looking like a blade after one pass using the recommended pin Sol and dawn mix..
bk

Magicman

I give the B57's a good wire brushing at every blade change.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bkaimwood

This thread must have been a course for  me...either that or my own stupidity was!!! Temps were borderline here last night, and I had a loooong day, finished up late, so I took a flyer...and lost. Lube system filter housing split in 3, whole system froze..hairdryer and super glue to the rescue...nothing else hurt, so I'm thankful, but lost a lot of time due to it... But lesson learned, now full of WW fluid...
bk

ely

I pour a gallon of the blue stuff in with about 4 gallons of water, if it gets cold enough to freeze that I don't saw. in pitchy pine I have to turn the water off and give the band a squirt of my mixture about every 5 seconds. it is 50/50 bar oil and kerosene....that sometimes get diluted even more with hydraulic oil.

Magicman

Quote from: slider on November 23, 2015, 05:56:53 PMCascade worked well but left a white caustic residue on the mill that i did not care fore.
My old sawmill is "peaches & cream" colored.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

flatrock58

I have been running water with cascade during the warmer part of the day.  Every night I use a little bottle filled with ww fluid to flush the lines.  If it is well below freezing during the day I do something else!!
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Magicman

I have a quick connect on the line and jug, so first I unhook and run the Lubemizer full force to empty the pump and line.  Then I use a short section of hose to pump undiluted WW fluid throughout the system.  This purge procedure works very well for me.

isawlogs

Things here are froze for the next 6 months, I have windshield washer in the tank. It will stay with that in it till then. I got over trying things that work moderatly, WW works. Things don't swell up and break.  :snowball: :snowball:
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

bkaimwood

Hey MM...what is that item the prestone is sitting on??!! Haven't seen mine in a loooong time...
bk

Magicman

Then your tires sling mud onto the sawmill.   ;D  That old fender has been straightened, hammered out, and repainted a couple of times.  It leads a hard life.   ;D

bkaimwood

I believe you, MM...I've seen the pics of the places you've shoe horned that thing!!! Mine is like new, cuz it usually stays in the barn and my mill hasn't been to ugly locations...yet...its not a good thing, means its not being used to its full potential!!! :(
bk

Magicman

Actually the shoehorning has never caused any damage.  If it comes off at highway speed, it will be ugly.  :o

bkaimwood

MM....maybe you should have a speed limiter on that rig! :) Atleast put a block under the pedal!!
bk

Magicman

I had not taken the time to clean out the fender slot, so it was riding high.  I saw it in my rearview mirror and maybe heard the racket when it went cartwheeling into the air.  Maybe the wheel ran over it?  Anyway it took some serious "blacksmithing" to kinda make it fit again.   :-\

Note to self:  (Always clean the fender slot and connect the bungee.)

terrifictimbersllc

Once I got to a job and a fender was missing.  An hour or so later the customer's wife came back with Dunkin Donuts for everyone and also a fender for me.  She said it sort of looked like my mill so she picked it up. It was fairly mangled which so that was a sideways compliment,  but it went back on ok anyway.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kbeitz

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on November 29, 2015, 01:12:25 PM
Once I got to a job and a fender was missing.  An hour or so later the customer's wife came back with Dunkin Donuts for everyone and also a fender for me.  She said it sort of looked like my mill so she picked it up. It was fairly mangled which so that was a sideways compliment,  but it went back on ok anyway.

Wow.... That was not a blonde...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on November 28, 2015, 06:56:44 PM
I had not taken the time to clean out the fender slot, so it was riding high.  I saw it in my rearview mirror and maybe heard the racket when it went cartwheeling into the air.  Maybe the wheel ran over it?  Anyway it took some serious "blacksmithing" to kinda make it fit again.   :-\

Note to self:  (Always clean the fender slot and connect the bungee.)

What's this bungee you speak of Lynn?

Guess I've just been lucky, never used a bungee, never lost a fender!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nomad

My original fenders had one rubber bungee to hold 'em in place.  the new ones have two. (Yeah...  I've had a couple of "incidents.")
     I will say that a blowout at 70 mph will make your fender do bad and wondrous things, and you won't like the results. :(  That bungee cord wasn't no more than spit on a housefire.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

flatrock58

Had a blowout when I was on the way home from buying my mill.  The fender took a direct hit.  I persuaded it back to it's near original form.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Magicman

Quote from: Chuck White on November 29, 2015, 07:26:03 PMWhat's this bungee you speak of Lynn?
Mine originally had ball bearing loaded pins, but moisture and rust was never kind to them, plus they had a sneaky way of hiding.  The black bungee works fine and I have the hook on the fender end bent to prevent it's escape.

Chuck White

Maybe I should make provisions for securing my fenders with a little more than gravity!

But you're right, if you don't get the fender pockets cleaned out, that shortens the security of the fender!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!