iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who thinks up these things

Started by WV Sawmiller, November 21, 2015, 08:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Anybody heard any wild rumors lately?

When I first moved to WV 25years ago (and periodically ever since) someone mentions hearing the DNR people have been restocking rattlesnakes by parachuting them into remote areas.

Heard a new one today that the increase in coyotes was caused by the insurance people stocking them in the area to help reduce the deer population because WV vehicle/deer accident ratio was too high and the insurance people were tired of paying claims.

Haven't heard any skunk ape/bigfoot/Sasquatch rumors for our area. Maybe they would not be considered unusual in this area.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

clearcut

"Snakes, why did it have to be snakes?"

No snakes, but in the 50's they would relocate beaver to remote areas by parachute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APLz2bTprMA

In 2013 USDA parachuted 2,000 poisoned mice on Guam in an effort to eradicate the brown tree snake.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2013/12/03/248386912/dead-mice-update-tiny-assassins-dropped-on-guam-again
Carbon sequestered upon request.

starmac

Well if you haven't heard much about bigfoot, it is a SURE bet that you haven't met by bil. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

CJennings

Someone actually stood up during one of the annual deer hearings a few years ago here and started talking about how he thought the fish and wildlife department is releasing mountain lions. I'm not sure how the fish and wildlife people managed to keep a straight face through that.  :D

gspren

This has to be true because I heard it at a bar/tavern near our hunting camp, the game wardens tranquilized most of the bears in our county and kept them in a pole building during the 4 day bear season.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

timberlinetree

They let 4 castrated wolves out in our town to controlled moose population. They have been heard up at cobble mountain. Not sure if the parachuted in though ???
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

Say when

azmtnman

Quote from: CJennings on November 22, 2015, 06:25:46 AM
Someone actually stood up during one of the annual deer hearings a few years ago here and started talking about how he thought the fish and wildlife department is releasing mountain lions. I'm not sure how the fish and wildlife people managed to keep a straight face through that.  :D
Game and Fish departments will do that occasionally--reintroduce species without public awareness. I have a buddy who had relatives that lived near a DNR lake in northern Indiana. They found a bear in their barn one day and called the local office. They denied they had released bears until he said "Ok. I just didn't want to shoot one of your bears!"  :D :D :D They changed their tune very quickly.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

caveman

Those wolves?  Are they the ones with the higher pitched howls?  I just want to know what to listen for if they head south.
Caveman
Caveman

Wick

They say the same thing about the DNR/Insurance relating to the coyotee's here. I thought it was true.  :-\
Timber Harvester 30HT25

beenthere

Rumors are so easy to "pass" along.  8) ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandhills

Yup, just  go to your local coffee shop around 7 any given morning  ;), I believe them about as much as the internet, but not quite.

Ford_man

How do the DNR train the snakes and animals ti take off the parachute harness after they land. smiley_tom_dizzyguy02 smiley_tom_dizzyguy02 smiley_tom_dizzyguy02

Ianab

Quote from: Ford_man on November 23, 2015, 07:32:34 PM
How do the DNR train the snakes and animals ti take off the parachute harness after they land. smiley_tom_dizzyguy02 smiley_tom_dizzyguy02 smiley_tom_dizzyguy02

Explosive bolts on the harness.  :D

Still working out a few teething problems though.....
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Banjo picker

If you haven't heard a good rumor by ten oclock...just start your own.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Yup, I see pictures so it did happen.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ely

banjo has it correct...worked on a construction job at a refinery in Denver years ago, I discovered if I started a rumor early enough it would come true by lunch time...things like we are only working til lunch today etc.

Autocar

I have heard here also that the D.N.R. air dropped timber rattlers into southern ohio to control the wild turkey population. Also I ran into a fellow in a resturant a number of years ago telling me he saw a trailer in a gas station with dogs and when he asked the fellow about them he was told they were coyotes and he was to turn them out in different countys here in northwest ohio. It works for me   ;D we do have coyotes and garder snakes Iam not sure if the garder snakes were air dropped but maybe by tomarrow someone will confirm this story   :D.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!