iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for Recommendation on Bar and Chain on Stihl 084 Alaskan Mill

Started by tomjones2a, November 20, 2015, 06:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomjones2a

Hey Everyone brand new to forestry forum.  I just picked up a Stihl 084 to mill a 48" x 10 foot wormy maple that has sentimental value.  I already have MS 441 and run that with a a variety of 3/8 bars from 18 - 36".  I use the stock rim sprocket and use both woodland ripping chains and standard chains.

The 084 is coming with 3 rim sprockets 1 x 0.404, and 2 x3/8 (7 tooth and 8 tooth).  So I have some options.  Looking to see if anyone has any recommendations on bars and chains to harvest this log.  I really appreciate your help.

drobertson

Howdy,  I know nothing of CSM but I'm pretty sure Left Coast supplies could answer some questions for you,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

Seems to me your only option will be a 5' bar, on maybe a 54" Alaskan mill.  In Stihl or Cannon I think those will be only 404/063.  I agree check with LCS, there may also be GB bars.   I buy from them a 72" 404/063 GB sprocket nose bar (to modify) for my Peterson slabber.   I'm guessing  you'll spend $400 for a bar, $80 for a chain that you need to modify, and $250 for an Alaskan mill, work to make a rail system for initial cut, then you'll still have to do the work, and learn to do it well if you can.  Looking back I'd recommend considering finding someone to slab it for you if you can.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tomjones2a

Great Advice all.  I ended up going with a GBF 60" bar from Left Coast and 404 pitch ripping chain.  I'll use engineered 2x4 for my rail system for the first cut and will keep the chain sharp to cut down on my sanding after the wood dries out.

Thanks for the advice.

Thank You Sponsors!