iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New table

Started by Ianab, November 19, 2015, 08:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

My solution to the problems of jointing and glueing up boards to make a table top. Just use a bigger board.   ;D

Not finished yet, but it's getting there.

The bigger knot holes have been plugged from the bottom, then masked off and painted black. Now I'm filling them with resin and embedding some little souvenirs in the resin. Any knots that still have wood and bark in them, I've just stabilised with resin as well.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

This will be nice.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dodgy Loner

That's my preferred solution as well :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Just Me

Quote from: Ianab on November 19, 2015, 08:07:40 PM
.. Now I'm filling them with resin and embedding some little souvenirs in the resin. .

Thirty some years ago I built a old growth redwood crotch cut table with a live edge. In one deep hollow I shoved a Hot Wheel car back in there. Its in a hard to see spot for adults, but the kids find it. I figured the slab would shrink around the car and it did. I did it just for, well, fun.

Well, my kids came along and eventually found the car. Tried for years to get it out, never could. Rule was no tools. Now my grandchildren are trying to get the car out of the hole, no luck so far.

I like dropping little things in such places as well, coins or what have you, its just fun.

Nice looking table!

Larry

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

lowpolyjoe

Sweet.  Looking forward to more pics

I just used some west-systems epoxy today for the first time.   Fingers crossed that the mix was right.  I used their pump kit so I'm hoping their "one pump to one pump" ratio will be accurate. 

Ianab

First time using the West Epoxy here too. Seems to work well. I'm using the digital scales from the kitchen to weigh the mixing can, although I messed up one mix because of a loose battery resetting the scales on me.

Today's progress.

The 'buried treasure"  :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

Found the old post about felling and milling this slab of wood.  :D

It should be well dried by now  ::)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,22582.msg320938.html#msg320938

There is even picture of us hauling that actual green slab up the hill to the trailer.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Its coming together slowly but surely. Hurry up....I can't wait to see it finished.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ianab

Got the base completed, and last coat of varnish is drying on the top right now..  :)

Ianab

And with the top sitting in place  :)

Magicman

I would say that the Cuties approve.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Looking great, and those two young ladies grow up fast..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave H.

nice! love that the slab is followed from being cut to finish!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I think you may have to make 2 more.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Ianab on November 22, 2015, 11:46:00 PM
Found the old post about felling and milling this slab of wood.  :D

It should be well dried by now  ::)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,22582.msg320938.html#msg320938

There is even picture of us hauling that actual green slab up the hill to the trailer.

Wow, I actually distinctly remember that thread. Guess I've been here a while :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

dean herring

Very nice. Just how wide is it?
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

lowpolyjoe

That's great.   

Is that a triangular coin?

Jeff

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on November 25, 2015, 08:22:18 AM

Wow, I actually distinctly remember that thread. Guess I've been here a while :D

I think you was just a single college kid when we found you scurrying in the woods.  :D ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ianab

Quote from: dean herring on November 26, 2015, 11:37:54 AM
Very nice. Just how wide is it?

:D I had to go and measure it. It had measured everything off the size of the slab of wood, so there were no plans or written dimensions.

Slab is ~800mm small end, ~900 on the big end. 1450mm long, and 35mm thick. So roughly 3ft x 5 ft.

QuoteIs that a triangular coin?

Yup. There are 3 x 2015 Cook Island coins embedded in the top. The triangle one is the $2, and there is a $1 and $5, as well as a shell carving and an old Cook Islands Telecom mobile phone sim card. All souvenirs of this years trip.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Jeff on November 26, 2015, 02:45:22 PM
Quote from: Dodgy Loner on November 25, 2015, 08:22:18 AM

I think you was just a single college kid when we found you scurrying in the woods.  :D ;)

Yep, a lot has changed over the last decade. A lot :)

Magicman

I found him scurrying too!   :o

In his skivvies.   :D

Ianab

QuoteYep, a lot has changed over the last decade. A lot :)

Same here. It was 2 months before Lara was born, so Lil was only off bearing the smaller boards.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!