iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln Drying Cherry Lumber

Started by Mike N, November 16, 2015, 05:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike N

I just cut up some Native Central Minnesota Cherry logs.  :) The logs were dead on the stump for about 3 yrs.  The bark had completely fallen off, but the interior is very solid.  The wood was wet about 30%+ moisture content.  I took it from the saw mill directly to my Kiln dryer.  Now I am afraid the lumber will either warp, check or split if I dry it too fast.  Most of the lumber I have dried in my kiln was air dried to about 15% first, mostly Black Ash, & Red Oak.  I hope my boards turn out, I plan to make 4" Tongue & Groove paneling.  Most of the boards are too nice for this project.  But I will have a good looking office!  I ended up with about 850 bd. ft all 5" wide & 6-12ft. long.
Woodmizer LT-15  BobCat
If it ain't broke take it apart & find out why!

bkaimwood

If it was me, I'd slow the drying down a bit...lower temps, airflow, and dehumidification... And constantly monitor for sticker stain...but I'm a bit of a beginner on drying cherry...I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in...
bk

beenthere

Mike
Look forward to some pics of your cherry.

Did retirement work out for you as planned?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

The main problem I would watch for would be end checks. Cherry is known for this. Did you seal the ends?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Mike N

Quote from: beenthere on November 16, 2015, 06:34:10 PM
Mike
Look forward to some pics of your cherry.

Did retirement work out for you as planned?
beenthere,

I am still on the job until Jan.-Feb We are trying to close a deal to sell the company.

I will have pics once we open up the Kiln.

Thanks
Woodmizer LT-15  BobCat

Mike N

Quote from: hackberry jake on November 16, 2015, 07:34:46 PM
The main problem I would watch for would be end checks. Cherry is known for this. Did you seal the ends?

No we did not seal the ends.  I have about 25% more material than I need, so if the ends check in a few inches or less I will be Ok.  The wood seemed to be aged (not green) however it is wet.  The logs were dead & suspended from the ground but tipped over from a tornado about 3 years ago.  The bark was all gone & some of the outer sapwood was rotten.  I want to get it dried & milled so it is ready to use by Christmas Holiday break.  I think it will take approx. 3 weeks in the Kiln.  Some of the boards were completely clear, I will post pictures when they come out of the Kiln.  Thanks
Woodmizer LT-15  BobCat

xlogger

I was told to put the cherry away (stickered) and forget about it for awhile before drying it.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Cherry is about medium in drying difficulty.  So, it is easy to dry.

The color of cherry varies depending on the temperature and humidity used in drying.  If cherry is partly air dried, you get a nice color in the shell.  Then, if put into the kiln, when the core dries, you will get a different color, as the kiln is hotter and drier and so dries faster than air drying. 

So, the best color is when we dry it 100% in the kiln, or air dry it down to 25% MC before going into the kiln.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Mike N

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on November 17, 2015, 06:46:14 AM
Cherry is about medium in drying difficulty.  So, it is easy to dry.

The color of cherry varies depending on the temperature and humidity used in drying.  If cherry is partly air dried, you get a nice color in the shell.  Then, if put into the kiln, when the core dries, you will get a different color, as the kiln is hotter and drier and so dries faster than air drying. 

So, the best color is when we dry it 100% in the kiln, or air dry it down to 25% MC before going into the kiln.

The bds.  had 30% MC when we loaded the Kiln. It will take about 3 weeks to dry in my small dryer.  I built a 4' x 4' x 12' air tight box from 1 1/2" pink foam, 30 pint dehumidifier (set to run continuously), 20" fan set to high speed & a ceramic space heater with a thermo-coupler to allow 120F max.  Once the unit gets working the dehumidifier keeps the heat up & ceramic heater shuts off.  I hope it turns out.  We have had great results on Walnut, Oak, Aspen, Basswood & Ash so far.  This is the first time I went from the Woodmizer directly to the Kiln, we usually air dry first for at least 6 months before going into the Kiln.
Woodmizer LT-15  BobCat

hackberry jake

If aged wood gets a bacterial infection, it actually makes drying defects worse. I know some oaks are bad for this. Hopefully your cherry comes out ok.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

samandothers

Mike do you have some pictures of you kiln?  I would like to see it. 

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I would suggest that Jake's comment could be modified to start out

"If ANY wood has a bacterial infection (which develops only in soaking wet wood because the bacteria live in no-air conditions), it actually makes drying defects worse."

Trees on wet sites are worse, as they have the anaerobic conditions in the soil.  Oak, eastern and western hemlock, willow, cottonwood and aspen seem especially prone.

Because of the high MC in infected logs, they often do not float.  Those are the logs that we hear about being pulled up from a lake, River, pond, etc.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Mike N

Mike do you have some pictures of you kiln?  I would like to see it.
[/quote]

Quote from: samandothers on November 17, 2015, 07:57:20 PM

I will post more pics once the Kiln is emptied out.
The Cherry is 2 weeks in the Kiln & I remove approx. 5 gallons of water per day.  It has slowed down a bit now.  I opened the Kiln & the Cherry looks good so I closed it up again.
Woodmizer LT-15  BobCat

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

How do you get air flow past the lumber faces?  It looks like there is not gap between the wall and the lumber.

Mike N

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on December 01, 2015, 10:37:46 PM
How do you get air flow past the lumber faces?  It looks like there is not gap between the wall and the lumber.

The Kiln is 12ft. long. I can dry approx. 800 bd. ft. per load.
There is a 20" box fan on the left hand side of the wood stack. (Set on High)
Small ceramic heater & dehumidifier on the right hand side of the enclosure.
Most of my lumber is cut to 100" long.
I can dry 10ft. lumber once the stack gets high enough to clear the fan.
There is a lot of air moving through out the stack from the end & between the boards.
Once the systems gets going the dehumidifier creates the heat & small heater does not even come on, it maintains approx. 115 degrees F.

It works really good!
Woodmizer LT-15  BobCat

Mike N

After 4 weeks in the Kiln I decided to open up the door & check on my Cherry lumber.
Everything looks good. No splitting minimal warping.  :)
I think 1 more week & it will be ready to take out.

The water is flowing a lot slower than before.
Woodmizer LT-15  BobCat

samandothers

Thank you for the picture!  Very nice. Sounds like you got it going!

Mike N

From This:

To This:

I ended up 10 square feet short to finish the last wall, I need to run after another log :-\
Woodmizer LT-15  BobCat

hackberry jake

YellowHammer

Now THAT is a real before and after story.  Way to go, that looks very impressive.   8)
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Glenn1

Your room looks fantastic!  Great job!!!!
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!