iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

house my great grandpa built

Started by bigred1951, November 15, 2015, 07:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

I went to my grandmothers home place the other day to look around. The old house her dad built is still there and was lived in by my grandmothers sister till about 6-7 years ago but she finally moved to an assisted living apartment due to the house having no running water or bathroom just an outhouse and two old wood stoves for heat. I just happened to look under the house at the foundation and was pretty amazed. For piers there was big flat rocks with 3 logs running length wise of the house. Then there was more logs running side to side down the length. Then rough cut boards on top of the logs. It was all still bone dry and solid. The only real problem with the house is the tar paper roof has leaked and caused the ceiling to start to rot. Next time I'm there I'll take some pics. Just thought I would share. It put a smile on my face seeing it.

Outer Rondacker

I found this the other day. Kinda neat and goes with that your saying about your grandmothers parents house. Old school lives on.
https://www.offgridworld.com/216-year-old-log-cabin-built-by-russian-fur-traders-being-restored-in-oregon/

bigred1951

Far as I know the house was built in the late 30s to early 40s other then the foundation of logs and stones the house is built with rough cut sawmill lumber. My grandmother said there used to be an old log cabin there they lived in and it caught fire from an oil lamp and burned down. Then her dad built this house. There two stoves. One in the living room and one in the bedroom.

beenthere

bigred
Do you know the present owners of the house, and if so, what their plans might be for it?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bigred1951

Yes my grandmothers brother owns the land now. I don't think he should have got it in the first place he talked their dad into signing everything over to him before he passed so I've been told. It's 75 acres. The last place on a one lane dead end road way back in the holler. Their dad passed at age 94 in 95 or 96 when I was little but I still remember him some.

Thank You Sponsors!