iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need vs Want economics

Started by Grizzly, November 14, 2015, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzly

In several threads that I've been reading the last week or more is the comparisons and discussion on value of goods, pricing, and Country of Origin. I've noticed that many use low price as a way of managing needs/wants versus available budget and I was kind of nodding along agreeing with everything I read until an old memory of a visit with a friend popped into my mind. His "teaching" if I can call it that was this:
-Anything that is needed I can afford regardless of price.
-Anything that I want isn't needed and thus price is not a determining factor on purchasing.
-If I need it, it will not break the bank.
-No matter how low the price, if I didn't need it it wasn't a deal.
-The greatest difference is do I need it? Or want it?

What do y'all think?
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

East ky logging

I think you had a very wise friend
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

beenthere

Like the story goes about the wife who told the husband he didn't need to buy a sawmill (or whatever) that he said he wanted. His reply was that he "didn't need her as a wife, but that he did indeed want her". 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Banjo picker

Need is controlled by your mind or brain...a cold calculation of what is and is not.  Want is controlled by your proverbial heart.  While your mind has, or at least can get the facts of a matter, the heart can and will at times over ride the mind.  When that happens we usually find our selves in wild cats up past where we don't want them.  Just my spin on things, yours may be different.   ;) Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WV Sawmiller

Grizzly,

Reminds me of the high pressure sales people and the difference between the things I bought and the things people sold me. The difference being I made the decision on the things I "bought" and someone else pressured me into the things they "sold" me. I am generally happy with what I bought and get mad every time I look at something someone sold me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Skip

Grizzly,

Truly words to live by.

r.man

We always seemed to scrape up enough money for what we needed, very often it was something our children wanted but to us that was need since you are only a child once. I don't think we ever had to refuse based solely on cost. I have however missed out on a lot of deals and good buys because I couldn't justify the cost at the time. Always had enough to eat, and a pleasant place to call home. Life is good.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

muggs

If you really want it, Your mind will turn it into a need.   Muggs

Magicman

She says that she needs the check that I brought home today, but I do not want her to have it.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

Needs cause people to expand a minimum effort.  Wants can make people work to the maximum.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

petefrom bearswamp

To paraphrase Senator Phil grahams statement on guns, I have all the things I need, but not all the things I want.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Cedarman on November 18, 2015, 07:02:09 AM
Needs cause people to expand a minimum effort.  Wants can make people work to the maximum.
I like that.

Quote from: Magicman on November 17, 2015, 09:34:15 PM
She says that she needs the check that I brought home today, but I do not want her to have it.   ;D
MM - I don't think the secret to a Happy Marriage (and maybe a long life) includes telling Miz Pat that.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

QuoteMM - I don't think the secret to a Happy Marriage (and maybe a long life) includes telling Miz Pat that
I never said that I actually told her that.....   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

Quote from: Magicman on November 18, 2015, 11:38:20 AM
QuoteMM - I don't think the secret to a Happy Marriage (and maybe a long life) includes telling Miz Pat that
I never said that I actually told her that.....   ;D

Is that because you felt you didn't need to, or didn't want to.  :D

After  need and want comes just plain got to have it. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

gspren

Sometimes I'll look at a Cabela's or similar catalogue and realize that I absolutely NEED something that I didn't even know existed a few minutes earlier.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

tree-farmer

Along the same line, some sage advise I received early on was:
If you can't afford it, you can't afford it with interest.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Magicman

I was in Academy Sports today and a nice lightweight camo jacket "needed" me.   :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on November 19, 2015, 08:00:22 PM
I was in Academy Sports today and a nice lightweight camo jacket "needed" me.   :D

$300
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

firecord

I buy what I want on my credit card and I buy  what I need on my wife's credit cards.   

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: tree-farmer on November 19, 2015, 06:33:15 AM
Along the same line, some sage advise I received early on was:
If you can't afford it, you can't afford it with interest.

I like that a lot.

I love my country but the growing lack of responsibility among our citizens (among other things) worries me for our future .  We have become largely a population of entitled consumers.  Everyone buys everything they want on credit because an advertisement told them they should have one.  Then you hear them talking on their new iPhone to their friend about how they're about to default on their mortgage.  My house value is plumetting because so many homes in my area are going into foreclosure.  But everyone has a few new cars in the driveway.  Drives me crazy - no pun intended  ;)

A consequence for my attitude is that i'm often called a cheapskate.  I can live with that.  :)

Cedarman

I'm with you lowpolyjoe.
Call me cheap, call me a cheapskate, call me a skinflint.  I love it when people talk dirty to me.
I just don't like to buy frivolous things.  I usually drink water with lemon when out to eat.  But then I will buy some nice microbrew porter with my savings when at the beer store.  I enjoy those so much more than a coke with dinner.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

firecord

I checked with my preacher an he verified that I can't take it with me, so I'm gunna spend while I got it!

East ky logging

Your right you can't take it with you but as the song goes I want enough to get there on.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Thank You Sponsors!