iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found on beach

Started by DextorDee, October 04, 2004, 12:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DextorDee

Went to Florida on vacation. Walking on the beach I found this.I thought it was really neat.Kinda makes ya wonder about the people that were here before us.
First time I ever found an arrowhead on the beach.

Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

shopteacher

Great find. Here I thought you might show a mermaid. ;D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Tom

I've never seen an arrow head on the beach either.  Most like the ones that you show must have gotten to Florida in a trade.  We don't have rocks like that here.  It sure makes you wish that stones could talk, doesn't it. :)

beav

Looks kinda big to be an arrowhead.S'pose it could be a spearpoint for catching fish ???

Bro. Noble

Tom,
Speak for yourself-------I got enough problems without carring on conversations with rocks :o :D ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

Dex, what beach were you at?  Tom, we have some dark flint like that over thisaway. It is unusual to find a point on the beach, though.

Noble, rocks carry on a pretty decent conversation, sometimes. At least they're willing to listen. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DonE911

As Dang said.. there is some dark stone over towards the West Coast.   We have several indian cemetary mounds here in St Lucie County, but I don't recall seeing any dark arrow or spear heads that were found there before access to the sites were closed off.  There are some pictures of the artifacts in the local museum ... what beach was that?  

Since the hurricanes interesting things are being found on the beaches that otherwise may never have been seen again.  I talked to a fella that found some old gold coins after the storm......  he was a resident ofcourse, because non- residents were being restricted from access to the islands.  

DextorDee

No mermaid, maybe next time.
Yea, I wish it could talk; it sure gets my imagination going.
Must admit probably a spear point, would have taken one strong bow to chunk this baby.
DanG, DonE911 I was at St. George Island in between the hurricanes the week of Sept 18th.
I spent a few days along time ago around Cordele and Albany and if I remember right, that type Flint, Chert, Jasper,rock? Is common around there. DanG, maybe it comes on down into yo part of the country.
 Anyway its the coolest thing I ever found on the beach.
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Buzz-sawyer

How did St George do in the storm?? I spent part of family vacation there and really liked it.....it was once used as a bombing site, and for turpentine production............now multimillion dollar homes!!!!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

billbobtlh

It came out fine. There are two Sites of Historical Significance in the Plantation(west end). Points that are found in water turn black. There are middens all along the coast that are at the shore or are already underwater.
This is still on topic. Many of the Spanish ships were made of Live Oak and masted with long leaf pines.

http://www.anthro.fsu.edu/uw/research/ships/dog_island/dogisland_history/history_dogisland.html

DextorDee

billbobtlh ,The Plantation is where I was staying. I don't know where those sites are,but I gotta a feeling someday a house will be built on em. Most of the sites are being staked out for houses. The forgotten coast has been found. lotta changes . Can't stop progess I guess.
That sure would have been along way to paddle across the bay on a windy day. Them was some tough people. If they could only see it now.

Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

SwampDonkey

We used to find half made dugout canoes along the west coast. They were called 'culturally modified trees' or CMT's.

Click here for CMT info

Some totems on the Charlottes

On a fly camp we did at work, we found an open grave site, with human remains. A fly camp is a camp site in the bush with all your supplies slung in by helicopter. No roads.

Saw a glyph on a rock face along the King George Highway, east of Prince Rupert, BC.  

Locally, they have found arrow heads and other native artifacts near the mouth of the Tobique River. I've never seen or found any. The mouth of the Tobique was always a native fishing ground because the river narrowed and it was easy to spear salmon there in the swift waters. The swift waters also claimed a few fishermen.

None of these sites were new discoveries.

Here's something interesting. Keymaps for your keyboard with a native language of the Pacific Northwest.
http://www.languagegeek.com/nwc/nwc_keyboards.html

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

Now DanGit Dex!  You had to come right by my place to get to St. George, and I ain't heard no horn blow, and I ain't seen nobody wave. :'(

It seems, outwardly that it would be a tough paddle, where you went over there, but, if you look at the map, you could almost walk over. It has been bisected by a man-made inlet, and the west end is now known, locally, as Little George. West of that is St. Vincent's Island, which comes to within 100 yards of the mainland at Indian Pass.  It would be a pretty easy swim/hike to get there.

I have seen the time I could have bought a lot on St. George for as little as $500. Beach front lots were going for $2500 back in the '70s. Now, a beach front lot will fetch close to a half million smackeroos. :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DextorDee

SwampDonkey, thanks for the links thats some pretty cool stuff.

DanG, believe or not I thought about you when I was trying to get around Tallahassee. I think I was on the other side of Tallahasse from Chattahoochee .Went around the east side of Tallahasse .I can get lost real easy down there always have to look at the map. Only been goin for ten years or so, you think I would learn the way. Was down there in May, on the way back missed a turn due to construction somebody took down the signs. So I'm downtown Tallahasse trying to back track made it back found my turn  I try my best to stay as far away form Tallahasse as I can, it seems all roads lead to Tallahasse. It just jumps out and sucks me in. I don't have any problems in Sopchoppy. :D

I see what you mean looking at the map. That would be a little bit closer than across the bay. I would like to have seen the place before we messed it up.
Prices have gone up just a little bit. :o
1.4mil for a gulf view lot in the Plantation. No house,no beach front, just sand and view between houses.
I'm rambling ...
Thanx guys for looking at my rock..

Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Tom

Why we're the ones doin' the thankin'.   Thanks for showing them to us. :P 8)

SwampDonkey

I enjoyed looking at your rock too Dextor, forgot to mention that. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Blake22

Super find!! Especially finding it on the island. That is a "wacissa"-9000-6000 years old. That is a fairly common point for Fl, Ga, Al but I'd be extra proud of it where you picked it up. Most beach "finds" are made from sting-ray barbs but from a much later period 2500-500 years B.P.

Thanks for sharing that,
Blake
Blake

Tom

Well, I'll be dogone!  :P :D

DextorDee

Blake22, Thanks for that information I was wondering about the age/name etc. I am very proud of it probably once in a lifetime find, hope not. One of the best ones I have found.
One of the highlights for me as a kid was to go to the country and walk behind my uncle when he was plowing the fields and look for arrowheads. Watch out for Mule glass. :o
Wow, 9,000 to 6,000 years old.
I still get excited when I find one, 60 year old kid. ;D
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

SwampDonkey

David Sherwood from the states has studied the Maliseet Language. He first came here to hunt with my grandfather, but he studied such things back home. It was the 70's when I remember him coming. I was just a little whipper snapper back then. ;D

Here is a link to one of his books

http://www.allbookstores.com/book/0660107627

Here are some other books co-authored by Dave Sherwood

I wouldn't even know him now. But, my uncle would for sure.

Kirk_Allen

For you Floridians is there any truth to the findings on the beaches after the last couple storms?  Our local news said people are finding Silver and Gold coins washed up from some old spanish ship.  They claimed the silver coins are worth as much as $1,000 a peice and the gold ones worth up to $20,000.

THey didnt say what beach but they did show one person who had over 20 silver coins and and 10 gold ones.  

Now I am no expert on tidal movements and such but I find it hard to beleive that coins on the bottom of the ocen would be effected  by the surface action of the storm to the point they could be washed up on a beach but who knows?

SwampDonkey

Dunno Kirk.

But, some beaches in California are all sandy part of the year and other times they are just cobble stones, the sand is swept away.

Coastal Geology Link

DanG

Kirk, wave actions from a hurricane can have a large effect on the ocean floor, especially in areas like Florida's Big Bend. From about Carabelle, down to Cedar Key, there is a shelf that extends way out into the Gulf. The water along here is shallow for a long way out, and wave action can really beat things up. Think about a 50' wave suddenly coming upon a broad area where the water is only 6' deep. :o  I have no idea how far such a wave could move a gold coin, but a couple of days of constant pounding could probably take it a pretty good way, once it is uncovered.

Fla._Deadheader

YUP  ;) ;) ;)  A whole DanG Fleet of Treasure Ships crashed on the shores of Ft. Pierce--Cape Canaveral, in July, 1715. A nudder one of them Hurry canes.  ::) ::)  We been finding stuff since the early 60's.

Them prices is good, IF yer name is Mel Fisher. Mostly, Silver goes for $20.00--$200.00.  Gold CAN go for up to $75,000.00, IF it's a "Royal".

This is the place we were Diving and salvaging Spanish stuff, since we moved here in 1992.  Our best day on the beach, Ed and I found 167 Silver coins, in 6 hours.  ;D ;D  THAT was during a "Nor'easter". ;D ;D ;)

I got LOTS of pictures. ;D ;D

Y'all want some ?????? ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!