iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sycamore log's ?

Started by BargeMonkey, November 13, 2015, 08:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Anyone ever saw alot of it ? I got some real nice ones off these clearcuts I just did but haven't ever come across alot of it. Mostly just pallet stock ?

GAB

Quote from: BargeMonkey on November 13, 2015, 08:01:00 PM
Anyone ever saw alot of it ? I got some real nice ones off these clearcuts I just did but haven't ever come across alot of it. Mostly just pallet stock ?

I was told that if you quartersaw it that it is beautiful wood.
Note that I have no personal experience with sycamore.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

OH logger

I can sell the nice ones for rotary logs sometimes if they are clean and not wind shook. they be fun to cut ;D
john

gww

I really like how the blade goes through them and it is a pretty kind of orange wood.  I have an 8x8 post that is cracking pretty bad and I made some 2x4s that the stress in the log wouldn't allow me to get consistant board thickness.  I still have some to cut and will probly make one bys for maby flooring.

I would be interested in what you eventually do with yours.  Looking for ideals.
Thanks
gww

CCC4

I cut quite a bit of it. I also have heard it was beautiful 1/4 sawn. I love when I cut the blood hearted ones. Sycamore cuts so awesome...you can throw about anything at it.

Scrag and ties here.

treeslayer2003

same here, ties, matts, pallets. i don't get many, when i do they are tall and heavy. and yes, blood red.

Joey Grimes

Quatersawn sycamore is beautiful .Some logs are full of stress and makes them tough to saw.
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Ohio_Bill

Saw a lot of them into 2 by2, s and 3 by 3,s 16 foot long. That can get real interesting. One of the only times I enjoy sawing frozen logs.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

ehp

I have never cut any before but next bush has 5 good size ones to cut , 4 to 5 ft on the stump , I found a place that wants them for making table tops out of them, for what I have been told not a lot of value around here

BargeMonkey

I got 5-6 real nice large butt logs off this clear cut job and didn't quite know what to saw them into. We basically saw rough cut softwood or some hardwood for grade stakes off our mill.

rooster 58

I sawed closed to a thousand ties out of sycamore this summer. Now, nobody wants sycamore ties.im glad I sold the ones I cut.
     Custom Sawyer loves large sycamores

treeslayer2003

Quote from: rooster 58 on November 15, 2015, 08:23:59 AM
I sawed closed to a thousand ties out of sycamore this summer. Now, nobody wants sycamore ties.im glad I sold the ones I cut.
     Custom Sawyer loves large sycamores
why not? can't be worse than beech or gum........

BargeMonkey

Friend of mine out near Oswego cuts some beautiful beech, I would buy all I could for grade stakes if I could buy it right. Lots of sycamore along the creeks and down in the valley, but up here it's rare. It's like white oak, I've never cut 1 stick of it, go 30 miles and lots of it.

Tom the Sawyer

This is the quartersawn grain of a sycamore I milled two weeks ago - planks about 18" wide.  This tree was standing dead and taken down by a local parks department.  They expected their red oak and ash to yield the best lumber from their logs.  Actually considered burning the sycamore.  I told them they might be surprised and they were stunned.  These planks will become a conference table. 

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

treeslayer2003

thats right nice! would that grain show up if straight sawn? i wonder if it will cup......

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on November 16, 2015, 09:23:57 AM
thats right nice! would that grain show up if straight sawn? i wonder if it will cup......
Nope, flatsawn will not show the fantastic grain. Flatsawn will also tend to move a lot with twisting, cupping and just plain bad behavior. If the logs are large enough to make it worthwhile then quartersawing is the way to go with sycamore.

BTW, it will also spalt nicely if properly neglected for a year or two...

Herb

gww

The item "grade stakes"  has been mentioned earlier.  I don't know what grade stakes are, could someone enlighten me please. 
Thank you
gww

LeeB

Grade stakes are wooden stakes used by the construction industry. More specifically grade stakes are used to mark "grade" on to tell the dirt movers how much to add or take away to get the ground to grade. A lot of people call any stakes used in construction for marking  distance, boundaries etc. grade stakes, such as the ones you might see along the side of the road marking out distances in a road construction area.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ehp

that's is what the mill told me they were going to do with the ones I got to cut , making table tops , very nice grain . I have never seen inside one before

gww

Leeb
Thank you for answering my question.
gww

CCC4

i bet this one has nice grain.

hackberry jake

The mills near me buy sycamore logs for the ties and cants. The side lumber is sold for cheaper dirt cheap. If only I could find a market for truck loads of flat sawn sycamore.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Sycamore has spiral grain.  Unless quartersawn, sycamore can and does dry like an airplane propeller.  Very difficult to dry straight. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

That is a mighty pretty pink one. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

craigc

Maybe it is different here in Central Illinois but anytime you see pink Sycamore in means a bad log.  Usually they have a lot of shake in them.  The yellow colored Sycamore cut good and solid and don't twist as much when they are dried.  My parents house has yellow Sycamore tongue and grove car siding in it.  Still straight and beautiful.  I remember running the pink stuff through a gang rip and throwing the entire cant away, it would just fall apart. 
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

Thank You Sponsors!