iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A few pics on a late fall day around the mill

Started by Quebecnewf, November 12, 2015, 05:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

V
Very nice late fall day here at the mill. Last of the logs all on the rack

This rock was covered in logs when we started this spring now looks kinda bare. Will need to refill thaDt this winter/spring

Slab pile from the summer sawing. Will have to deal with that this winter

Sawmill shed , you can see the new wall we redid this spring.

Had the old three sided planer running today. Got the feather board thing figured out I think. The old girl really chewed through it. We did a whole bunch of firring strips 4 and 5" .

Nice looking stuff and while it seems slow just feeding one piece at a time it is suprising how busy you are feeding the wood.

Ththe day is getting over and we're heading home.

View from the boat .heading home after a good day at the mill. Got the planer running near to what I want. Did some cleanup around the mill. Planer shavings burnt. Just need a few more good days and it will be time to shut down the sawing for another year. Hope the weather holds.

Quebecnewf

fishfighter

Were in the world do you get trees? I think I asked that question once before. ;D

It looks as though it's fixing to get cold up there.

bkaimwood

Beautiful terrain and pictures... Thanks for sharing!!
bk

Sixacresand

Nice photos.  I like the way you stacked your lumber in a  triangle. 

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Kingmt

Thanks for posting. That's the first 3 sides planner I've seen.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

sawguy21

I really enjoy your pictures and narrative, you are in a unique part of the world for the type of work you do.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Quebecnewf

Quote from: Sixacresand on November 12, 2015, 07:54:58 PM

That's the way most lumber is stacked here for air drying. If you tell someone you packed your lumber " lumber fashion" this is what you are talking about.

It is a good method. You don,t need stickers , you can pack a lot of lumber in a small area, your pile is very stable, different lengths are not an issue  and the lumber stays straight.

I have never seen this method used by other members here on the forum not that I can remember but maybe it's way more common than I think.

Quebecnewf

bushmechanic

My father used to stack lumber in a triangle for years then he changed to laying down a tear 8'x8' then take three boards or studs from the pile( center and in from the ends a couple of boards) cross pile those and then stack on top again. Good to see you have your planer working, did you buy that four side one you were looking at? Man, people around here would kill for a pile of slabs like that! 

thecfarm

Not much to look at around the sawmill,as far as trees are concerned.
I've never seen or heard of lumber stacked like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

Triangle stacks were very common around my hometown of delanson NY right after WWII.
A fair number of small sawmills too all circular back then.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Quebecnewf

We use the triangle plié most of the time when we're packing lumber up outdoors. Indoors I sticker it if I need it to dry more.

Storm brewing here today , high winds and rain mixed with snow forcast
Quebecnewf

florida

Great stuff and love the pictures!  Is your mill on an island and if so why? Where do you get power? Do you have to haul the finished lumber by boat? I've seen some of your threads about rafting the logs over in the spring but how far do you have to go to get the logs?  Do you own the land you log or what? sorry to be so curious but it's fascinating to me.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Misfit

Quote from: Quebecnewf on November 13, 2015, 04:43:17 AM
Quote from: Sixacresand on November 12, 2015, 07:54:58 PM

That's the way most lumber is stacked here for air drying. If you tell someone you packed your lumber " lumber fashion" this is what you are talking about.

It is a good method. You don,t need stickers , you can pack a lot of lumber in a small area, your pile is very stable, different lengths are not an issue  and the lumber stays straight.

I have never seen this method used by other members here on the forum not that I can remember but maybe it's way more common than I think.

Quebecnewf

I grew up on a farm on P.E.I. and we were always building or adding on to something. That's the way we always stacked lumber from the mill. Maybe it's a Canadian thing.
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Quebecnewf

Quote from: florida on November 13, 2015, 03:34:27 PM
Great stuff and love the pictures!  Is your mill on an island and if so why? Where do you get power? Do you have to haul the finished lumber by boat? I've seen some of your threads about rafting the logs over in the spring but how far do you have to go to get the logs?  Do you own the land you log or what? sorry to be so curious but it's fascinating to me.
Mill is on an island next to the island where we live. I boat all my lumber home , only about a klm. Logs are cut on the mainland . Distance to logging spot is about 13 klm. No power on island where mill is located .log on crown land, no fees yet.

Lots of pics in my gallery

Quebecnewf

snowshoveler

I love the pictures and follow whatever he is doing as best as I can.
I have never seen lumber piled that way and I looked through my families sawmill pictures.
They sawed lumber in a steam powered mill from about 1910 to maybe 1945 or so.
10 000 a day when running.
Maybe that's why I have sawdust in my pockets.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Clark

I've seen lumber stacked in the triangle fashion in northern MN...at one place. Possibly it was more common in the past when more farmers had a small sawmill for their own use but you don't see it often.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

KamHillbilly

When I cut my lumber for my house my Finnish father in law had me stack all my lumber using my cut lumber for stickers . Example if we had 16' lumber we would use 8' lumber for the stickers but all lumber was 1' apart creating 1' chimneys in stack for air flow . Lumber stacks where all 1'6" off the ground the stacks got high fast . I tried to draw it on sketch up but realized fast that my computer skills suck .If it was all 8' lumber same deal 8' x 8' pile all boards 1' apart .

I haven't seen these piles anywhere but father in law said that's how they piled it when he was on the farm in Finland

The triangle method looks quite a bit easier , looks like it would be easy to accommodate different lumber lenths 

Homemade Bandmill ,Clark 664b ,Case 780b ,Jonsered 670,630

drobertson

thats a pile of slabs and lumber!  and a great looking water body!  makes me want to go fishing!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Thank you for continuing to share some of your world.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Very nice photos and narrative.  What a pure and wonderful place, but it looks cold even in the photos. 
Thanks for Giving us a window to see your part of the world. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Quebecnewf

Starting to get cold here now but still no snow to speak of. We went down to the mouth of the Mecatina River last week . Planned to stay there a few days aboard the boat , cut a few more logs and do a bit of rabbit  hunting.  When we arrived at the mouth of the river we found more ice than I liked blocking the mouth. Decided not to push in through it worried I might get stuck.

Hoping to get back to the mill tomorrow if the wind drops and do a couple more turns of sawing before we shut her down. Haul the boat next week .then of to Montreal for Christmas with our daughters.

Soon be time for winter logging. Can,t wait....

Quebecnewf

SineWave

Great pics, thanks for sharing. What kind of wood is that? White pine?

Quebecnewf

Quote from: SineWave on November 16, 2015, 06:08:47 PM
Great pics, thanks for sharing. What kind of wood is that? White pine?

I wish. No pine this far north. Those are balsam fir and spruce. Only hardwood is birch and a little eastern larch.

Quebecnewf

dgdrls

Great post,  Quebecnewf,

FWIW I also have family in Montreal and am due a visit soon.

Dan

Quebecnewf

Going in to the mill today to saw the last 28 logs for this year . Then putting the mill to bed for the winter. Next job after that haul the boat ashore and wait for the snow and ice do we can gat back in the woods.
Hope it's sooner rather than later...
Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!