iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered 2172 on off switch question

Started by bt2172, November 12, 2015, 01:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bt2172

Seems my Jonsered 2172 doesn't want to quit when I turn the kill switch on it sputters and kicks and after a few times stalls out.  When it was new it shut off immediately.   I was wondering how hard it is to change the switch?  Does it just pry out of its mount and you can insert a new one or do you have to take most of the saw apart to get to it?

Thanks for all help and advice in advance.

HolmenTree

You have a loose wire connector on the backside of the switch.  Just pry the switch out. Pinch the connectors with some pliers to tighten up.
Welcome to the forum.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

49er

All the switch does is connect the ignition to the case. The switch just pops out.
I really like the switch that is spring loaded to the on position.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

bt2172

Thanks for the replies  I checked the switch and the connectors.  Switch works fine when tested with my meter.  The connections are tight and I even crimped them a little more to be sure.  Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.

Could it be the wire connection on the other end?  If so how hard is it to access them?

dougand3

It could be the coil end. Should be a spade connector on coil that wire connects to. Should see coil and wire when you remove the starter recoil housing - normally 4 bolts that are hex or T-27 or maybe slotted.
Other possibilities:
Kill wire is broken. Just make another one.
Kill circuit in ignition coil module has failed.  Replace coil or choke it every stop.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Thank You Sponsors!