iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storm wood

Started by DanG, October 03, 2004, 09:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

My sister-in-law and her neighbor both lost some trees to Hurricane Frances. The neighbor is a logger, so he brought home some equipment this weekend and dragged these out for me.

Here's a pic of the White Oak logs I got from my Brother's place after Ivan came through. Straight as a pipe...on the inside. :-/

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tobacco Plug

Not exactly the best of circumstances to get logs, but they are nice.  I guess this is a wonderful example of making lemonade when life hands you a lemon.
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Timber_Framer

:-/ Classic lemonade from lemons was the situation we had up here five years ago when the 4th of July storm laid 500,000 acres of forest flat.
I've still got around 600 bf of virgin white, red and jack pine. Some of those trees were 300 year old!
I'd rather they were still standing but seeing as how mother nature decided to blow em down we all started sawing em up.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Roxie

DanG you folks are living a good clean life.  When life hands me lemons, I grab some triple sec and tequila and make margherita's!   :D
Seriously, those are some pretty logs, and you may as well make the best of the situation.   :)
Say when

Roxie

Wait just one second.....I NOW have TWO trees under my name, and "Full" Member!!  
Wow, what an honor!  I'd like to thank the academy and all the little people that made it possible!   :D
I'm so proud that I think I'll go BUY some lemons and rustle up those margheritas!   8)
Say when

Tobacco Plug

YEE HAW! Party at Roxie's! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

L. Wakefield

I just spent 2 weeks in Alabama with the Red Cross after Ivan- and I thought of you'all as I was looking at the various quality of downed timber. I recall the thread after a tornado where some reported that downed wood had a tendency to haveing been twisted internally with reulting disruption of the fibers and ruining of the sawlog. I will await your results in sawing. it may be that the lesser wind strength and uniform direction in a hurricane would result in loss of roots and the trunk might be undamaged internally. There were some areas that looked like tornadoes or microbursts might have occurred.

The Mobile Register had a several-page article by Bill Finch (their environment editor) on grading the trees as to how they react to hurricane force wind. The worst were pecan, red maple, water oak, laurel oak, and tulip poplar. It was grreat, since the nurses touring with me had had many questions as to the predominant species they had seen down. I had hazarded a guess as to maybe willow oak- at least I had the genus right.  

Back home in Maine now- 31* last nite and likely to go down to 28* tomorrow nite. they say we will be spared somewhat tonite by clouds and maybe rain. The tropicals are inside- I moved them at 3am when the temp dropped to 32.4*- it was 31.3* an hour later as I moved the last Brugmansia in with a dolly (they have gotten a lot bigger this summer..)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

DonE911

DanG.

You should see all the good stuff getting chipped up over here.  There was on oak down here at the EOC that was about twice that size and at least 14 feet to the first limb.  

Boss said I could have it, but forgot to mention it to the cleanup guys from the county who cut it into nice little 1 to 2 foot sections while I was sleeping. >:(

Ofcourse I didn't have a mill to cut it with yet, but I know a guy fairly close that could have handled the job.

DanG

Well it looks like I'm gonna out-source this job overseas.  Yep, the folks from New Zealand, Peterson Sawmills, to be exact, will be milling these logs at the Moultrie show. 8) 8) 8)

This is gonna be fun! :D  It is a win/win.  I get to go to the show all 3 days, get free labor to saw the stuff, and they don't have to buy logs and worry about disposing of the lumber.  The biggest win of all will be working with Captain and all the Peterson folks, and getting to know them.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

billbobtlh

Thats great Dan. I hope thats enough wood. If its not I bet you know where there is a little more. :)

DanG

Yep, sure do. :)  I'll try to get over there and pick some up before then. I might take the first day's supply directly from here.

Thank You Sponsors!