iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cylinder question

Started by june, November 11, 2015, 07:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

june

hey guy s my intrest is about my skidder cylinder. the chrome shaft is rusted a bit . i was wondering if it is cheeper to replace the cylinder or to chrome replate the shaft and what kind of buisness replate chrome

Firewoodjoe

Depends on the cylinder cost and your access to getting it chromed. Any machine shop or hydraulic shop could point you in the right direction on getting it chromed. If funds are available I would buy a new one and keep the rusty for a spare. Never have enough spare parts.

Gearbox

If it isn't leaking run it, if it is then just have a new shaft made . Any good machine shop can turn out a new shaft Cheaper than a new cylinder I hope . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

june

thank s alot for your answer guys

xalexjx

take some emory cloth and clean it up a little so you dont ruin your wiper  seals.
Logging and Processed Firewood

sandsawmill14

as xalexjx said some fine grit emory cloth can work wonders. you can also put o rings in that end of cylinder and help some too  :)  they seem to last longer when the ram is a little rough. we have packed several over the years like this as most of our equipment is not new. i think model year 2000 is our newest piece and in the late 30s -early 40s is the oldest. so when we need a part we go to the parts house and if they say no we just make it  ;D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Thank You Sponsors!