iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ford 550 backhoe kingpin replacement

Started by 47sawdust, November 11, 2015, 04:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

This seemed as good a place as any to post this since most of you run and repair your own equipment.I have a 78 550 Ford backhoe that is a little loose up front.It's a 2wd drive and is only used as an on the farm machine.Spindle pin kits are available for $95.00.How big a job is this?What is the likelihood that the spindles themselves are still good?They go for another $450.00 each.The shop manual I have makes it look doable but I'm a little out of element here.
Thanks,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

North River Energy

If it's at all like the 6500, it's not difficult.  As I recall, the kit had a kingpin, and two nylon bushings, and maybe a keeper pin.  I did the spindle bearings and one or two tie rod ends at the same time, and don't recall anything out of the ordinary.  Might have used the torch to warm things up.
I think there was some wear in the spindle bores, but I've driven the machine over the road a few times, and it's not noticeable.

Jhenderson

Not a bad job. When it comes time to drive the pin from the axle be sure to solidly block the axle as close to the pin as possible. A jack or jack stand won't do. Entire front jacked and blocked, both sides at once. If not the axle will absorb the shock rather than the driving the pin.

Thank You Sponsors!