iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edmund Fitzgerald

Started by dgdrls, November 10, 2015, 07:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

There was a write up in my paper about it today.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

Mother and Father in law took a trip over that way to watch the ceremony.

Ron Scott

During my days as a active diver, I was with the Great Lakes Shipwreck Society's recovery group that recovered the ship's bell which is located in the Whitefish Point Museum and have a scrapbook and photo collection on the Fitzgerald.
~Ron

petefrom bearswamp

One of the great maritime tragedies and one of the greatest songs about it.
Does anyone know where the love of god goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

beenthere

Ron
That has to be some real exciting times and great memories.. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

47sawdust

Thanks for this post.Every time I hear Gordon Lightfoot's song I get goose bumps.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Wick

I remember my dad playing that song in the 70's when I was young. Would always ask him to play it over. Awesome, but sad.
Which also reminds me of the old free standing wood stove in the room.
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Ron Scott

Yes, though tragic for the lives lost, shipwrecks are exciting.
~Ron

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ron Scott

Great Song! I have that very photo plus many others and paintings of the Fitzgerald. Gordon Lightfoot just visited Whitefish Point on November 9th. He wasn't able to make it on November 10th due to a conflict with a concert he was scheduled for in Maine. He's an honorary member of the
Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society (GLSHS).

~Ron

sawguy21

That song got so much air play I got sick of it, I still don't enjoy it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

That's really not something someone from the great lakes area should be told. Or for those of us that have family on the ships that sail the great lakes. It is a very meaningful song to us. I thank goodness that J.D., my Daughters significant other was on a break from his ship this week when we were having 20' plus waves.

petefrom bearswamp

Jeff how big is JDs  ship in comparison the the EF?
I remember looking at some pics  at the pig roast.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

Currently he is on the Paul r. Tragurtha (that is when he gos back on duty at the end of the month) She's one of the 13, Thousand footers and currently the largest on the lakes.  The Edmund Fitzgerald was 728 I think.

sandhills

That's simply amazing to me coming where I'm from, when my uncle took me to Alaska he kept having to remind me "they're ships not boats"  :D.  I always liked that song.

Jeff

You might find this interesting. We use it all the time to keep track of where JD is.

http://ais.boatnerd.com/#

drobertson

I watched a very good documentary years back, it just brings tears to your eyes,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

petefrom bearswamp

Interesting site Jeff,
Didnt realize how many vessels are on the lakes.
Couldnt find the Paul R only the Lee A trigurtha.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

Use the list on the left and sort by name, click on the name to locate on the map. Last night she was near the keweenaw peninsula

snowstorm

Quote from: Jeff on November 16, 2015, 10:15:38 PM
You might find this interesting. We use it all the time to keep track of where JD is.

http://ais.boatnerd.com/#
the one i use is  ais ship traffic   sorta like yours. most of the time it has a picture of the ship or yacht. speed heading and destination.   

Corley5

A high school classmate's father was a hand then an officer and retired as a captain of a Super Laker.  He corrected me once when I referred to his boat as a ship.  He said that ships are ocean going vessels.  Ore carriers and others that stay in the freshwater of The Lakes are "boats".  So there are ships and boats on The Lakes.
  I was 6 and half years old when the Edmund Fitzgerald went down.  I remember that night.  The wind down here in the Northern Lower was wicked.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Magicman

Since I am so far removed from shipping, I find this very interesting, and enlightening.  Thanks.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

timberlinetree

I rember the first time seeing the great lakes and from being back east I thought I took a wrong turn and was back at the ocean. Need even thought the lakes were that big and dangerous. I was amazed.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!