iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Return of the 034?

Started by ReggieT, November 10, 2015, 05:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Just got off the phone with my Chainsaw Guru...and my Dolmar 116si is toast...and is going to cost close to $300 to repair. He recommends I walk away from it...

He has a Stihl 034 AV that he's replacing the crankshaft bearings in and offered it to me for $150.
Complete with a good Stihl bar & Chisel chain...everything else is "supposedly" peachy on it!  8)
Should be done it about a week.

I had a 034 for about a year...and still rue the day I sold it (although it did fetch $275 and I had about $125 in it!)
This would be an excellent back-up to my MS 390.

What's your thoughts?
What do you think of the 034 vs MS390 comparison? 

Thanks,
Reg

deerslayer

The 034 and 039 would be similar performance wise. Not sure on weights. That sounds like a good price if the saw checks out.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

deerslayer

Make sure you get the other saw back. It can probably be fixed for less than that.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

ReggieT

Quote from: deerslayer on November 10, 2015, 07:46:17 PM
Make sure you get the other saw back. It can probably be fixed for less than that.
Definitely getting it back deerslayer...I can't find anyone around here who knows anything about older Dolmar repairs...its very frustrating to say the least.

ZeroJunk

You can buy a piston kit for $26 on eBay from a guy in Greece I have bought several items from. Unless the crankcase is broken or the cylinder can't be acceptably cleaned it should not be too expensive to get it running.

Just looked and Chainsawr has them as well, same price.

brettl

If that saw is clean and rebuiltvright with oem parts, it's a steal at 150. That's a pro level saw and the power to weight ratio will be better than your 390. You may find yourself going to the 034 more than the 390. If it's a 034 Super, that makes it the same saw as the 036. Either way, it's a great saw.

ReggieT

Quote from: ZeroJunk on November 11, 2015, 09:02:19 AM
You can buy a piston kit for $26 on eBay from a guy in Greece I have bought several items from. Unless the crankcase is broken or the cylinder can't be acceptably cleaned it should not be too expensive to get it running.

Just looked and Chainsawr has them as well, same price.
I looked @ that deal.
My piston & cylinder are both a goner, unfortunately!! arg-smiley
Best deal is buying straight from Dolmar for $203.00 plus shipping...
Wish I had never gotten that 116si...I would know of it's torque, power, and heritage!!! :'( :(

Thank You Sponsors!