iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New firewood processor build

Started by mjeselskis, November 09, 2015, 07:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North River Energy

Thank you.
It's been a good learning experience for sure.

I tend to run the smaller stock through a cordwood buzz saw.
Seems more cost effective in terms of fuel usage and machine wear?

mjeselskis

Finally got a short video. It's still slower than it could be because of the low relief valve setting on the saw motor, but I've put about 6 cords through it and it does ok up to about 12".

https://youtu.be/T_596t6XbfQ
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

North River Energy

That looks respectable. Can you up the pressure on the saw drive, or are you already at the margins?

mjeselskis

The pump has a cartridge relief valve built into it that is supposed to be at 3000psi, but it's going at 1500 instead. It's easy to replace if I can find a new one.

Even getting another 500-1000psi would certainly be much better.

North River Energy

The flow control for my saw motor had a built-in relief that blew off way too soon, so I added enough washers to the spring to bind the coils, then added an adjustable stand-alone valve upstream of the flow control.

That might not work for your situation, however.

Meanwhile, assuming you have a pressure gauge on the circuit, you could shim the spring and see if that helps?

firefighter

Nice video and congrats on the great job you did.One question did you build the conveyor?Again great job.

firefighter

Would it be possible to get a couple pictures of the completed processor . Could you also send a picture of the part for the length the round is to be cut thanks Peter

lopet

Yeah, looking good. The saw might be a issue, but what makes you think it's a pressure problem ?
Saw motor could be at it's limit or pump only puts out so many gallons.  Just sayn.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

mjeselskis

The saw motor speed is good, so the gpm from the pump is fine. It cuts great in smaller wood (less than 8"). I have a pressure gauge on the supply line to the pump and when I stall the chain, the gauge is only reading 1500psi and the relief valve on the pump is stamped 3000psi so I'm pretty sure the spring is weak and it's lifting early. The relief valve is a cartridge and it's self contained so I can't shim it. I'll post a picture of it later when I get some pictures for firefighter.

jmur1

Hi mjeselskis:

Very impressed with your build.  Nice post all around.  Great work.  Keep the updates coming!

jmur1
Easy does it

dave_dj1

Very nice! It's much better to move handles than the alternative of cutting with a saw, moving wood to the splitter etc etc. Nice job! I am jealous.  8)

mjeselskis

Quote from: firefighter on September 02, 2017, 09:58:37 PM
Would it be possible to get a couple pictures of the completed processor . Could you also send a picture of the part for the length the round is to be cut thanks Peter

Firefighter,
Here's a few pictures. The log stop is 2" square tube and it slides into a receiver tube that I got on Amazon. The stop is drilled and pinned for different length firewood.

I got the conveyor as scrap from the paper mill up the road and added the legs and axle since it was horizontal in the mill.

dave_dj1

Nice pictures, thanks.
Do you notice any problems with the saw binding towards the last of the cut because of the solid stop? I do like the idea of a solid stop over a chain or antenna though.
Keep us in the loop as it progresses :)
Again, nice job  8)

mjeselskis

I like the solid stop. It's nice to have a good stop when advancing the log, its easy to get the right length without fussing with it. 95% of the time, the wood falls down without binding but there have been a few times when the piece hangs up and the saw kinds of cuts on the up stroke until the piece falls. It's not enough to make me think about changing it.

firefighter

thanks for the pictures they are great.

blackfoot griz

Mike,
I'm glad to see that thing run...it's been a long time in coming for you!  Can you start a new cut as your splitter cylinder is retracting?  That would speed things up a tad. Great build!

mjeselskis

Quote from: blackfoot griz on September 10, 2017, 10:48:33 PM
Mike,
I'm glad to see that thing run...it's been a long time in coming for you!  Can you start a new cut as your splitter cylinder is retracting?  That would speed things up a tad. Great build!

Thanks, I appreciate all your help. I can start a new cut while the splitter is retracting, but I'm usually the slow link in the process.

Stinny

Great job on the build project. Very impressive!!!
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

Thank You Sponsors!