iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New firewood processor build

Started by mjeselskis, November 09, 2015, 07:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjeselskis

Yes, we're using a danfoss m077yc gear motor. We ran it for a few hours yesterday when it was about 85 degrees and the hydraulic oil maxed out at 135 so the cooler is working very well.

The relief valve on the pump for saw is set pretty low and opens around 1500 so we stalled the saw a couple times in the Aspen when we were tuning the feed speed and still had air in the saw cylinder so it was bouncy.

Overall, very happy with the first run.

Actually, the second run... we tried it out last weekend and about 1/2 cord into it we found out that the ramp down to the splitter was to close to the saw... A crooked log twisted when we released the clamp and the saw cut into the 1/2" steel plate. A little cutting on the plate and it was all better
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

firefighter

Nice to see you have it running and with only a few bugs . When ever you have a clip of it running it will be great to see it in action . Again great job .

North River Energy

How wide was the original log clamp, and what is the distance from the saw bar, and also the end of the infeed 'platform'.

Not a fan of Poplar. I like pickles, but not that much.

dave_dj1

mjeselskis

Quote from: North River Energy on July 17, 2017, 08:34:49 PM
How wide was the original log clamp, and what is the distance from the saw bar, and also the end of the infeed 'platform'.

Not a fan of Poplar. I like pickles, but not that much.

The original clamp was just a solid piece of 1" plate with teeth cut into it. It's about 12" from the saw. We added 3"X4" angle iron to the side of the 1" plate and cut teeth into that so now the clamp is 9" wide and it straddles the last hourglass roll

North River Energy

Quotenow the clamp is 9" wide and it straddles the last hourglass roll

Ok, that makes sense. I can see how the end roll could form a pivot with your original configuration. I've got a single finger clamp of similar dimension to what you had, but it's clamping against parallel infeed chains.

hedgerow

I have a 1 in steel clamp on my homebuilt  processor and  have the same problem. If you could post a picture of the angle you welded on. I am always looking for new ideas.

mjeselskis

Quote from: hedgerow on July 18, 2017, 07:51:12 PM
I have a 1 in steel clamp on my homebuilt  processor and  have the same problem. If you could post a picture of the angle you welded on. I am always looking for new ideas.

Here's a picture of the clamp now. The angle iron sits about 1/2" lower than the middle steel piece.

After the first run, we realized we needed a hookaroon. After the second run, we realized we needed a convenient place to mount it. A couple of 1.5" conduit clips on the side of the control panel hold it quite well.

firefighter

Looks good your new clamp can you tell me how wide is itand is it two pieces welded to your old one? Did your splitting wedge give you any problems ? When will you have a video of it splitting wood ? I am looking forward to seeing it run.

firefighter

I missed you reply on the clamp on the previous page thanks for the info.

mjeselskis

The wedge works very well. Occasionally a tough piece will kick out the autocycle valve and it will start retracting, but I just have to hold the lever and it will push right through. I haven't even hit the second stage of the pump yet.

I'll try to figure out how to get a video up soon. My phone is on the way out and I don't have a YouTube account yet.

thecfarm

Looks good!! I'm glad it's all working out for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mjeselskis

I'm looking for ideas to keep the rounds centered on the splitter so the hit the wedge in the center. Right now I pretty much have to guide each one to the center of the wedge. I could just let it choose it's own path but then I end up with a fat side and slivers off the other side on small pieces

North River Energy

Have you got a photo of the end view of the push plate, and also the trough?
As if you were looking back 'upstream' from the table grating.

hedgerow

mjeselskis
Thanks  for the picture of the clamp add on. I think a couple pieces like that on mind will help hold the short ends.

mjeselskis

Quote from: North River Energy on July 22, 2017, 07:30:06 PM
Have you got a photo of the end view of the push plate, and also the trough?
As if you were looking back 'upstream' from the table grating.

Here's a couple from either end.

North River Energy

That helps.  In short, you want to have the lower sides of the push plate cut away (notched) so the bottom edges of the trough hang inside the top of the splitter beam.

I'll try to get a photo of how mine are set up tomorrow afternoonish.

firefighter

Just wondering North River Energy if you ever sent the photo of your push plate and mjeselskis have you made a video of your processor in action .I know it is a busy time summer for ever body .I just want to see it in action Thanks.

North River Energy

Firefighter,
I sent the photo via direct email.
If you look carefully, you can catch a glimpse of the cutouts on the push plate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n24MWzFJuoQ

hedgerow

Mjeselskis
I have that same problem with my homemade processor with getting the cut rounds to center up on the splitter. Have saw a few homemade ones that use bushes on the sides to help with centering. Don't know if they would last. The wood I cut varies in size a lot so making a centering system is hard

GRANITEstateMP

Eric,

What length wood can you run through your processor, those blocks looked a bit longer than than 16 or 18?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

North River Energy

^Good eye. Those were 20" for an outdoor boiler.
I can set the machine for 12" to 22", in 2" increments.

firefighter

Thanks North River Energy I saw it in the video like you said .

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

mjeselskis

NorthRiver,
That processor is awesome.

I haven't got a good video yet since the camera on my cell phone stopped working.  I cut another cord or so this weekend, and it took about 3 hours, but there was a lot of 2-3" tops that took a lot of extra handling. Even if it's not fast, it sure is nice to not have to climb the pile with a chainsaw and handle every piece to get it on the splitter like I used to.

I'll see if I can figure out a way to get a video soon.

Thank You Sponsors!