iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New firewood processor build

Started by mjeselskis, November 09, 2015, 07:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjeselskis

Starting a build on a firewood processor with my father for our homes and likely a little on the side. I'll try to document the build here to help others since I appreciate having the forum available for help. Thanks to blackfootgriz for his help so far.

The start

2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

mjeselskis

North River Energy

Looks like a good start.
Where did you find the hourglass rolls?
It's atypical, but I don't use gripper nubs on the push plates. It seems to allow the block to 'flow' better through both the 6 and 4way wedges.

mjeselskis

Thanks. We found the hourglass rolls on Craigslist. I've been debating the nubs on the pushplate, it seems like most of the big splitters have them

47sawdust

Tubing makes for a good looking fab job.Is all your welding being done with the pictured Hobart?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

North River Energy

I think the nubs are there mostly because prospective buyers expect them to be. 
If the plate is smooth, the tail end of the block can 'skate' across the pusher surface as it moves through the wedges.  Seems like it puts less stress on the machine.
Then again, I'm not splitting corkscrews and crotch wood.

Grippers can be useful when the wedge moves through the block as with typical horizontal/vertical splitters, especially when the saw hand can't buck perpendicular to the log.

Did they have any more of those rollers, or just the two? I'd like to add one to the end of my infeed trough.

landscraper

Quote from: mjeselskis on November 10, 2015, 05:24:31 AM
Thanks. We found the hourglass rolls on Craigslist.

I wish Craigslist in my area had useful stuff like that instead of worn out furniture and broken appliances.

Processor looks good so far.  Will you have a stand-alone conveyor?
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

DeerMeadowFarm

beenthere

Quote from: mjeselskis on November 10, 2015, 05:24:31 AM
Thanks. We found the hourglass rolls on Craigslist. I've been debating the nubs on the pushplate, it seems like most of the big splitters have them

Placed just right, those nubs can put your "brand" in the ends of the firewood splits.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mjeselskis

I'm using the Hobart for the 1/4" and under but it's only a 210 amp and doesn't have enough power for good penetration on the big stuff without a lot of careful fitting and beveling. I used the Hobart for some of the thicker stuff, but I have a Miller AC/DC stick machine that I'm using for the heavier stuff now.

I have a standalone conveyor, but it needs an axle and a way to elevate it.

We bought 5 of the hourglass rolls but we'll be using all of them. The guy we bought them from did have more but they were in a fully functional log conveyor. I'll PM you his number if I can find it. We bought them a year ago when we saw then since we knew we wouldn't find them again.

archertwo

Placed just right, those nubs can put your "brand" in the ends of the firewood splits.
[/quote]

That's why mine are distinctive.

Nice start on your build, mjeselskis.
Husqvarna 254XP x3
Red Max 5300 x3
Kubota 62 & 85 HP two 203T loaders on 9 Ton wagons one with a 40LF PATU delimber & GMT 035 felling head
homemade firewood processor
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxLwTiRxf3c
www.youtube.com/watch?v=O01xr7dVAAA
Road Trail 7X12-14,000## Dump Trailer

mjeselskis

Had a little bit of time tonight so started working on the saw. Bearings and shaft should be here Friday for the saw pivot.

blackfoot griz

MJ-
Is it just an optical illusion? It looks like the hydro ram stroke is too long for the current pushplate-->wedge setup.

Hope it is just my bad!

Looks like the motor, bushing and sprocket worked as you planned. Did you go with a 13 or 14 tooth sprocket?

mjeselskis

Quote from: blackfoot griz on November 12, 2015, 05:02:44 PM
MJ-
Is it just an optical illusion? It looks like the hydro ram stroke is too long for the current pushplate-->wedge setup.

Hope it is just my bad!

Looks like the motor, bushing and sprocket worked as you planned. Did you go with a 13 or 14 tooth sprocket?

It must be an optical illusion, the stroke is 24" and there is 25" between the push plate and the wedge.

The motor, sprocket, and bushing came together very well, thanks. I went with the 14 tooth sprocket, we'll see how it works.

bigblue12v

Found your build, looking good so far! Kind of odd that we both used Vermeer's for mini skidders and now are both turning Jacobsen's into processors lol great minds think alike! Hurry and get this done!
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

lopet

The race is on. :D :D
Looks like mjeselskis has a bit of a head start.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Hilltop366

popcorn_smiley home built, entertainment at it's best!

bigblue12v

Quote from: lopet on November 15, 2015, 08:44:26 AM
The race is on. :D :D
Looks like mjeselskis has a bit of a head start.

A big head start on his processor but mine has been able to split wood for months! Lol last winter I built a splitter attachment for it.
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

mjeselskis

bigblue12v

711ac

mjeselskis

Quote from: 711ac on November 16, 2015, 08:36:46 PM
subscribed
what western ME town?
I'm near Rumford.

I've got a hydraulic question for those with more experience. Snowstorm brought up a concern on my hydraulic plan in another thread.

My saw motor will be driven from a variable displacement piston pump that ran the hydrostatic drive motors on the donor machine. I will use mechanical linkage to control the flow out of the pump once the bar starts moving out of its parked position.

The bar movement will be controlled with a simple, two way cylinder and single spool valve.

My concern is that there is no feedback from the saw motor pump pressure to the saw bar movement cylinder. I could apply to much pressure to the bar and put to much strain on the saw motor pump.

I'm envisioning a flow control valve that varies based on pilot pressure of some sort. I'd like to be able to feed the saw motor circuit pressure into it to control the max flow available to the saw cylinder. Keep in mind that the saw motor and saw cylinder run on two different pumps.

Is there such a thing? Thoughts? Suggestions?

North River Energy

Not familiar with your particular saw drive motor, but would it not be simple enough to set up the saw advance with a flow control and independent adjustable relief, and then run it to see if the more complicated scheme is warranted?
After a fashion, you'll probably be able to find the ideal feed rate by 'feel'.
FWIW, the Multitek processor one town over incorporates a single-acting cylinder with spring return for saw feed.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

snowstorm

Quote from: mjeselskis on November 17, 2015, 09:40:15 PM
Quote from: 711ac on November 16, 2015, 08:36:46 PM
subscribed
what western ME town?
I'm near Rumford.

I've got a hydraulic question for those with more experience. Snowstorm brought up a concern on my hydraulic plan in another thread.

My saw motor will be driven from a variable displacement piston pump that ran the hydrostatic drive motors on the donor machine. I will use mechanical linkage to control the flow out of the pump once the bar starts moving out of its parked position.

The bar movement will be controlled with a simple, two way cylinder and single spool valve.

My concern is that there is no feedback from the saw motor pump pressure to the saw bar movement cylinder. I could apply to much pressure to the bar and put to much strain on the saw motor pump.

I'm envisioning a flow control valve that varies based on pilot pressure of some sort. I'd like to be able to feed the saw motor circuit pressure into it to control the max flow available to the saw cylinder. Keep in mind that the saw motor and saw cylinder run on two different pumps.

Is there such a thing? Thoughts? Suggestions?
why run 2 pumps for the saw and the saw cyl? if using a load senseing pump and valves it could run bolth. control the saw cyl with the pressure relief valve. you dont need a big cyl for the saw. my keto ctl head dose it this way. it works very well . a saw cyl with a 1/2 to 3/4" rod is big enought. piston pumps are great but more complex. with load sense line and standby pressure. you need to really do your homework. if you could find a cheap or parted out ctl head. you would have the saw motor mount saw cyl all you would need ready to bolt on

Thank You Sponsors!