iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carb Icing in cold weather Wood-Mizer LT35

Started by prittgers, November 28, 2015, 07:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prittgers

A customer of mine phoned yesterday telling me that he had replaced his air filter, spark plugs and fuel filter because his sawmill would not run smoothly.  If he shut it off for a minute, it would start up and run fine for a while. Then slowly loose power and die.

The problem is that our temperature and dew point are so close right now.  Fuel/Air mixtures going through the carb venturi get cooled past the freezing point and ice forms in the throat.  Airplane pilots, especially those in Alaska know that this condition can be harmful to your health. 

The solution is simple for Wood-Mizer owners with Kohler power plants.  Kohler makes several carb heat kits that pull warm air from around the muffler.  24 755 65-S Kohler Anti-Icing Component is  good example. 

You can make your own using simple materials.  The photos show what icing does to the carb as well as what the Kohler kit looks like.

Email me with any questions you might have.  Alaska@woodmizer.com

Parker

Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

RPowers

Thanks for the reminder. I had this problem several times last winter even here in Arkansas. I will have to grab one of those kits before it gets that cold here.
Ryan
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

starmac

I even have one on my lincoln welder, autos had a version of them forever and a long time too.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

4x4American

"Airplane pilots, especially those in Alaska know that this condition can be harmful to your health.  "
[/size]
[/size]lol lol lol
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

QuoteAirplane pilots, especially those in Alaska know that this condition can be harmful to your health
;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

millwright

Another thing to check is the gas filter, the 25 hp is really fussy on fuel issues

Thank You Sponsors!