iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new old sharpener

Started by yukon cornelius, November 07, 2015, 10:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

I recently found an old foley auto sharpener. Its a model 3-61. It sharpens circle blades and has brackets for hand saws. my 15 year old son wants to refurb old tools so I felt it would be a good addition. He put a hand saw on it and had it sharp in no time. Today I made a new blade guide from scrap wood and put my band mill blade on it. I needed a larger file for it but I ran it through anyway. It needs about a 5/16 file but I had a 1/4. I ran it through 2 complete rounds. Once deeper in the gullet and second pass up to the tip. It cuts great! This could be the best $75 I ever spent. We also got along with it a foley retoother and an foley auto setter for $75 for the pair. Havent looked at those yet. I have been away from here for a while but I thought I would share this.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

yukon cornelius

anyone ever use one of these?

Kbeitz

You gotta have pictures.....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

yukon cornelius

I will try tomorrow. This device has no camera.

yukon cornelius

It takes less than 10 minutes for it to make a full round. set it up turn it on and let it run. no grinder but uses a file instead. I have wanted a sharpener for a while but at 10 -15 blades a year it couldn't be justified. I ordered a 6 pack of Oregon files last night for 25 dollars. since I was at my last sharp blade I see it paying for itself in less than one set of sharpenings. the last blades I bought cost $100 for 3 blades shipped here and to have 10 sharpened it cost around $130.

yukon cornelius

sorry for the sideways picture!

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

yukon cornelius

Kbeitz

I got an old file sharpner... Like my dremel better....

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

snowshoveler

I would like to see a pic or 10 of the circle saw file setup...please.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

yukon cornelius

Quote from: snowshoveler on November 08, 2015, 09:44:57 AM
I would like to see a pic or 10 of the circle saw file setup...please.
Chris
If you look just below the wood bracket is the mounting for the round blade. it is tapered for easy centering. there is a threaded rod you can see in the pic coming down from that. that is the up/ down adjustment for it. I am using that adjustment to set the blade height in the clamp. I will try to get a couple more pics later.

barbender

I'm curious how this works, any of the band blades I have used have the teeth hardened past what a file can cut- the file just skates off. It looks like a nice unit, and they are versatile.
Too many irons in the fire

Ox

I love old machinery and would like to see that run.  Nice find!  You'll be saving money in no time.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

You can buy diamond cuting files.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Banjo picker

If you get a video of that going, I want to see it too.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

yukon cornelius

I have no idea how to do a video on here. I think my phone can make one but how do I post it?

redprospector

Yukon,
I had one that was the next newer model to yours. I let it go when I sold my shop, but it served me well. I didn't do much on circle blades (I used mostly carbide), but it worked very well on hand saws, and band blades for my shop band saw. Been quite a while since I've seen one.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

beenthere

Quote from: yukon cornelius on November 08, 2015, 10:51:26 PM
I have no idea how to do a video on here. I think my phone can make one but how do I post it?

yukon
Upload the video to YouTube, and then paste the link in your forum post.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bandmiller2

I've got a later model Foley filer I think its a model 200,  brand new, never been used, at a yard sale. I'll have to take another look at it and see what it can be used for. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

kensfarm

Wow.. what hp is that motor.. looks pretty beefy. 

yukon cornelius

Quote from: kensfarm on November 09, 2015, 11:16:19 PM
Wow.. what hp is that motor.. looks pretty beefy.

I don't think it is more than a half or third horse.

I went back by the guy I had bought the rest from and he sent another home with me. it is a belsaw filer. I haven't looked at the model yet. not as fancy as the other one by far but it was worth loading up.

I will look into getting a video up sometime soon. I am pretty slow at getting to that kind of stuff. lots of irons in the fire  :D

bandmiller2

My Foley 200 filer has a 1/3 hp motor and that's overkill. They are well built professional grade equipment but not the demand for sharpening handsaws and noncarbide saws today. They could even be converted to an automatic saw chain sharpener. Newer filers like mine use a friction wheel to drive the big Vee pulley older machines use a belt. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!