iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I found 2" auger bits

Started by Daver, October 03, 2004, 06:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daver

For those of you that cannot find 2" augers I located a place in florida... It cost me $200.00 but it was the only place I could find them after many hours of searching.. It works great I use the Milwalkie holedawg drill and it works sufficiently ...  

http://www.advantage-drillbits.com/auger.html
"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

Jim_Rogers

I once found some auger bits at a local hardware store that supplies all sorts of items to the local gas company. They had large auger bit for the gas company to use to bore holes threw sills for installing gas lines into home and businesses. I think I paid around $75 for a 1 1/2" bit that was about 18" long, to be used in a power drill.
I have 2" auger bits here for sale but they are for boring machines and not for power drills.
One participant at the recent timber framing workshop in Texas soon learned that you can't put a boring machine bit into a power drill and safely use it.
The bit grabbed into the wood with such force that the drill nearly ripped his arm off as it twisted around.
Boring machine bits are made to turn at a very low rpm. And most power drills turn much faster.
Be careful to use only bits that are rated for the drill driving them.
Good luck with your project.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

pbottle

I have a totally hollow 2inch auger fixed to an oversized brace(speaking of slow speed!).

I can just turn it in green softwood. Maybe arnold could turn it in green oak..

Daver

The 2" bit I use is for a heavey duty power drill it works fine. Yes you have to hold on to it but I managed quite well with it. Thanks for the tip.
"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

Thank You Sponsors!