iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BAR/Chain Recommendation for CSM???

Started by caveman, November 07, 2015, 09:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

JMoore and I are going to purchase a Husqvarna 3120xp to use to slab some of the logs that we occasionally get that are too big to fit on our LT-28.  I doubt we need a saw this big but a good deal was presented.  We were thinking of something in the 48"-50ish" bar length with a skip tooth chain.  Most of the big logs around here are live oak, laurel oak, some water oak, some hickory and some oddball stuff like camphor or chinaberry.  I get calls every week from people who want huge slabs.  We have had folks drive from as far away as Miami (five hour drive-each way) to purchase slabs sawn on the LT-28.

Storing them and drying them is another bridge further down the road. We could have used it several months ago on this 4' x 13' live oak.

What bars are available in this size range?  We have found plenty of Canon bars but they are a bit rich for us (this will be very occasionally used). 

Thank you for your suggestions,
Caveman
Caveman

HolmenTree

With 2 slabs gone 90° to each other a 42" would be all you'd need .
I've csmilled 4 footers with my 36" Alaskan.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Kingmt

I used a shorter bar then the width of the tree & decided to bite the bullet and get the longer bar. It can be done but leaves more work to do later cleaning it up. If your cutting that big of slabs if probably go for the 60". I did & will let you know if I still feel that way after I get to saw with it. Guys I bought the bar & chain from must have looked at the wrong line in their scale cause the chain they sent is 5" to long.

I thought skip tooth would be the best starting out & found this not to be the case. Full skip chains take 4x longer, 4x the gas, hard on you, & hard on your saw.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

scully

Wow I wish I could get more logs like that ! Have you considered streaching the head on the mill ? Thats what I plan to do . I would be worried that CSM would create some very uneaven slabs.
I bleed orange  .

Liv2bowhunt

Check out gb forestry bars. I've got a 6' bar on my 3120 with a custom made mill!

Thank You Sponsors!