iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CAT 501HD Broken Boom

Started by ValleyLogger, November 07, 2015, 06:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValleyLogger

I have a 2013 Cat 501 with 2500 hours. I have had many troubles with this machine including an electrical fire in the cab last winter which caused the machine to be down for
two months (waiting for a wiring harness according to fabco ) but yesterday the jib boom snapped almost completely off about two feet down from pin holding on the main
boom. Are there other machines out there that this has happened to ? And are there low hour 501 machines out there with lots of troubles ?

Firewoodjoe

Sorry for your luck. I haven't seen many around here yet. Is this a feller or harvestor?

wannaergo

I run the same machine, and similar hours. Plenty of problems as well. I personally haven't broke the boom, but I know a guy with the same machine who did. I was told that it's not an unusual problem, especially if you cut lots of bigger wood and don't let go of the tree before they hit the ground. As for electrical problems, I've had plenty. Fuel too. The whole machine is a breakdown waiting to happen
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

ValleyLogger

I had a fabtek 153 before this I bought both machines new the fabtek treated me a lot
better than this one. I do cut quite a bit of bigger wood but I'm not abusive on the machine
it just seems to be one thing after another. Rarely make it a week without something.

ValleyLogger

Ken

A local guy had a 501 that I'm guessing was a 2012 or 13 and I hear he has gone out of business.  The Cat salesman was pretty keen to sell me one last year.  Glad I didn't bite.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

ValleyLogger

Just curious as to what you are running for a harvester and how it works for you

JLeBouton

The Cat is not the same machine the FabTek used to be. Might be time to look into something a bit more modernized?     
http://youtu.be/i5wyY_G1jec

Thank You Sponsors!