The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Rebuilding 18 volt batteries for cordless tools.  (Read 5898 times)

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
Re: Rebuilding 18 volt batteries for cordless tools.
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2016, 05:40:42 pm »
The brushless tools perform much better it's like night and day .
I thought it was bull untill I got some and used them :)
thomas 8013 mill ,Massey 1560 cab tractor loader backhoe Dump trailer and equipment trailer and lot of contracting tools

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • My homepage
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2016, 03:42:27 pm »
10" Fuel SCMS, 2 9.0 batteries, $599.00 at the Depot. 400 cuts per charge. I was talking to a contractor yesterday that just got the sawzall with a 9.0 battery and he has been taking down small trees with it. Cordless tools have come a long way! 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• Full Member x2
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2016, 04:25:51 pm »
  About once or twice a year our Interstate Battery guy will tell us that they are running a special on rebuilding tool / jump pack batteries.  Their sale is normally a week or so after I've replaced a dead jump pack with a new one, or bought a new power tool  :(
LIVE FREE OR DIE
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
    • My homepage
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2017, 04:49:56 pm »
Home Depot's marketing department must be made up of reformed drug dealers. :D M18 Fuel Sawzall or Fuel 7 1/4" saw, 1-9.0 battery and a fast charger for $249.00. Separately, the Sawzall is $199, the battery is $199, and the charger is $79. They really know how to lure people in.  :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
  • NH TC33D w/ forestry mods, Uniforest 35E winch
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2017, 07:24:04 pm »
Makes me wish I had waited to buy my M18 Fuel Sawzall or 7 1/4" circular saw.  THise 9.0 A-H batteries are big, but having at least one of them would be nice... just not $200 nice.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
    • My homepage
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2017, 07:43:19 pm »
I already had the circ saw, so I got the sawzall. I think I'm going to get the scms later this year, then I'll have three 9.0 batteries. I'll be able to run an entire job site all day without recharging. I wouldn't run the drill or impact on a 9.0, you can go so far on a 5.0, and they are lighter. I'm thinking about the true color work lights. They wouldd be a good use for a 9.0.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2017, 10:14:20 pm »
scms ??
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2017, 10:16:35 pm »
Sliding compound miter saw  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2017, 10:34:24 pm »
Didn't know they even made a cordless version. I'll have to check it out.

Offline scgargoyle

• I'm new!
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2017, 06:31:00 am »
They make 9.0 batteries now? I built our house with my 5 year old M18 tools, and always seemed to have plenty of battery life. With 5 batteries, I never used them all in one day. I can't remember the last time I had my corded tools out. I recently bought the big 1/2" impact wrench for car and tractor work, and it's a beast. I would have never thought that a cordless tool could have that kind of power. It runs circles around my old pneumatic impact.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2017, 10:49:56 am »
One thing Lithium Ion batteries don't like is extended disuse. You don't have to run them all the way down like you did with the old NiCad batteries, but they do like to have electricity flowing in and out of them from time to time.

If you know you'll be storing them for and extended period, it's generally recommended to store them about half full, rather than all the way charged or discharged.

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
    • My homepage
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2017, 12:37:03 pm »
I was impressed with the 7 1/4" saw with the 5.0 battery. With the 9.0, it's even better. You can hear the difference just spinning the blade. I had to ram it into a chunk of pine dunnage to get it to stall. I'm looking for some oak now.

Tooling up with the latest tools and bigger batteries is a chunk of money, but for serious use, they really do "cut the cord" as Milwaukee claims. I was thinking about a truck battery with an inverter to charge the M18 packs, but I now have enough batteries, and six chargers, too, that I don't need to recharge during the day.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2017, 01:02:13 pm »
Just bought a dewalt 40v chainsaw to use at the mill. thought it would be a good idea to have a spare battery and found one but it was 199 bucks.
same site had a scratch and dent leaf blower with battery and charger for 209.
I now have my spare battery plus a leaf blower that i cant find a sratch or dent on.
I have a ridgid drill that has lifetime guarantee on the drill charger and batteries.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
    • My homepage
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2017, 08:19:03 pm »
I already had the circ saw, so I got the sawzall. I think I'm going to get the scms later this year, then I'll have three 9.0 batteries. I'll be able to run an entire job site all day without recharging. I wouldn't run the drill or impact on a 9.0, you can go so far on a 5.0, and they are lighter. I'm thinking about the true color work lights. They would be a good use for a 9.0.

Later this year turned out to be today.  :D I didn't get much time to play with the saw, but what I am seeing so far is very impressive. In addition to cutting boards on a job site, I also want to cut dunnage and stickers at the mill. I made a bunch of cuts on a piece of 3x4 thinking I would see the battery drop pretty fast. It didn't budge, still four lights. I cut a bunch of dry cherry 2x6 to see if it would cut without burning, it did great. Still four lights on the battery. Then I made about ten cuts pushing it hard to see how much it would take to make it bog. It didn't really bog down, in fact it cut as well as any of the DeWalt corded saws I've used. I checked the battery immediately after and it was down to three lights, but when I pressed it again two seconds later it was back to four. The only downside is that it's a ten inch, not a twelve.

Cut in black cherry with the 60t blade provided. No burning.

Offline jcbrotz

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2017, 04:46:20 am »
Just bought a dewalt 40v chainsaw to use at the mill. thought it would be a good idea to have a spare battery and found one but it was 199 bucks.
same site had a scratch and dent leaf blower with battery and charger for 209.
I now have my spare battery plus a leaf blower that i cant find a sratch or dent on.
I have a ridgid drill that has lifetime guarantee on the drill charger and batteries.

petefrom bearswamp how do you like the dewalt chainsaw? I have been thinking heavily about one of these.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2017, 10:36:12 am »
...I think I'm going to get the scms later this year, then I'll have three 9.0 batteries. I'll be able to run an entire job site all day without recharging.

Later this year turned out to be today.  :D I didn't get much time to play with the saw, but what I am seeing so far is very impressive.

Have you had a chance to use that Sliding Compound Miter Saw yet? I'm curious if it's still working out for you. My wife does a bit of woodworking. Her miter saw is a garage sale special that we got for $15 (really more of a carpenter's chop saw - and  cheap one at that - than a real woodworking tool). It cuts, but it's not a very rigid frame, so the cuts are not always accurate unless you are very careful.

She would probably use it 95% of the time in the shop. I had been thinking of getting her a decent 12" corded saw, but I see that Home Depot is having a sale on the Milwaukee M18 Fuel SCMS: buy one that comes with a 9.0 AH battery & rapid charger, and get another 9.0 AH battery free. (All our chargers are the standard charger, so the rapid would be nice, as would the extra 9.0 battery.)  I've not really started shopping for the 12" corded version, but this price is less than Milwaukee's 12" corded scms, and about the same as the Dewalt (I don't know if either of them are good saws or not).

So now I'm torn: 10" Cordless, for those few occasions when we'd use it portable, or corded with a 12" blade. She doesn't do a lot of big stuff, but when you need it, it's nice to have.

To the OP: sorry for the topic drift here

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
    • My homepage
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2017, 10:55:12 am »
I haven't had a chance to really work it for a day, but I'm impressed so far. There are many reviews on YouTube. All have been positive. The big issue is the ten inch capacity. I wanted it mostly to cut dunnage and stickers at the mill where I have no power. Milwaukee days it will cut 400 2x4 of 150 2x12. I've been doing more small woodworking projects lately, meaning not timber framing, and this will make busting out a lot of parts go faster.

The more time I spend on YouTube, the more neat tools I'm finding that Milwaukee offers. Last night I found a combo spot/floodlight that I think I'll get, as well as a ton of other lighting options.

Offline ScottAR

• Senior Member x2
  • eat mo' ribs...
    • n/a
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2017, 01:07:24 am »
I'm no help on the cordless miter saws but we (dad and I) have two Dewalt sliders and they work great.
They are heavy to move however. I dunno how heavy the other offerings are as ours are older models.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]