iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for info on old planer (pic)

Started by Quebecnewf, November 07, 2015, 12:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Pic of an old Wadkin planer for sale.it says it is a RE 668 . Can not find out anything more than that so Farr. It looks like maybe a 2 sided planer but not sure.

Any info or details from the knowledgable forum members?..

Quebecnewf

Kbeitz

I'm pretty good at finding stuff on the net...
But I'm not finding anything on this...
On the front of the machine... whats the numbers ? Loos like ABC 007
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Quebecnewf

That's it I poked around a lot as well. Found lots of stuff on Wadkins but none that looked like they were the same as this one. The numbers give nothing as well.

Wondering what that second motor is for?

Quebecnewf

Magicman

Blower for the shavings.  Looks like it is belted to a squirrel cage fan.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

snowshoveler

Your going to need a pic of the model and serial number.
I checked as best as I could and there are 3 or 4 "Wadkin" brands. Some are from Europe and some are American.
They may not be the same companies.
I have a funny feeling that this 1 is from away.
And I don't think the seller's description is accurate as far as the RE 668.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

beenthere

The lower front motor looks to be belted to run something slower than the motor, so thinking it is for the feed rolls. And that may go into a gear box for different speeds or may go to a variable speed drive box.

Then another motor on the back side may be for raising and lowering the bed.

edit: and agree the top motor is the planer head.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quebecnewf

I thought the lower motor was maybe a chip blower but it seems to be strange that it is on the lower part of the planer. Not sure how the chips get down there??

Plus the motor looks a little big for a chip blower....
Quebecnewf

woodmills1

Look at the belts on the top motor, it must be for the cutter head.  The bottom for the feed?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Larry

There is a woodworking forum called canadianwoodworking.com.  In one of the sub-forums called vintage power tools there is a member, Jack Forsberg who lives in the Wadkin Temple.  He knows everything Wadkin and would be most happy to answer all questions.  I've seen pictures of lots of his Wadkin restorations and they are above top notch. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

woodworker9

One motor is the head motor, and the other motor is for feed.  More than likely, it's a variable speed feed, or at least 2 speed.

Wadkin machinery is highly thought of in the woodworking industry.  The number you have does no match any Wadkin machine number I know of.  I believe it's inaccurate.

Jeff
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Kbeitz

I think it's a Baxter Whitney  planer.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Quebecnewf

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 08, 2015, 04:23:14 PM
I think it's a Baxter Whitney  planer.

Can you please explain that statement???

Quebecnewf

Kbeitz

I spent a few hours searching the net for you problem.
I hate to lose.
After looking at 100"s of industrial planers your looks  the most like all the Whitney  planers
Do a google search and after the search come up click on images.
Page down through the pictures and look for your self.
Very few planers have the motors sticking out the right side of the machine.
Whitney  planers does. I could not find one that looked exactly like your but I came close.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

clay3

Do a search for wadkin  r j thicknesser and you should see several that look nearly identical to this, they are 30''  and this looks to me to be a little less.   

whiskers

the belts suggest the left motor feeds and the other motor drives a single cutter above the table.

check the gears that raise the table.  they're easily damaged and costly to replace. there should be a knife jointer assembly that sits above the top cutter head, and yes they're proud of it too.

this one, a single head three knife has the carrier but no grinder. weighs over a ton.

many irons in the fire.........

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Quebecnewf

Thanks for all the input guys. Knew the answers could be found here. Machine was stored outdoors so that's not good. Not much other info on it. Hard to buy something like this without seeing it or a little more info. That detail about the gears for raising the table being a bit of a bug is cause for concern.

Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf

Quote from: whiskers on November 08, 2015, 11:08:59 PM
the belts suggest the left motor feeds and the other motor drives a single cutter above the table.

check the gears that raise the table.  they're easily damaged and costly to replace. there should be a knife jointer assembly that sits above the top cutter head, and yes they're proud of it too.

this one, a single head three knife has the carrier but no grinder. weighs over a ton.

Is that a gas engine I see mounted there and if so what hp?

whiskers

B&S 8 hp direct drive with a Lovejoy Jaw Coupling where a 10 hp 3 phase had been. 1 hp 1735 feeds it. The Briggs works but nothing like it would with a larger belt drive set up, just haven't come across the wherewithal.

The motors were fried, the table gears were damaged and the owner was tired of looking at it. = deal. 

snowshoveler

In its day, the Newman was a beast. I bet that ate lumber faster than you could feed it.
I got my Yates planer from a guy that replaced it with a huge 4 sided Newman.
He showed me how it worked running it with a 50 horse Cat.
Put a rough 2x6 in 1 side and out came a piece of 1 1/4 x5 for decking on the other end.
I was impressed.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

deadfall

Quote from: snowshoveler on November 09, 2015, 07:56:46 PM
Put a rough 2x6 in 1 side and out came a piece of 1 1/4 x5 for decking on the other end.

I bet he was in the chips.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Quebecnewf

Quote from: whiskers on November 09, 2015, 07:44:00 PM

B&S 8 hp direct drive with a Lovejoy Jaw Coupling where a 10 hp 3 phase had been. 1 hp 1735 feeds it. The Briggs works but nothing like it would with a larger belt drive set up, just haven't come across the wherewithal.

The motors were fried, the table gears were damaged and the owner was tired of looking at it. = deal.

Wow can,t believe you could go from a 10 hp electric to a 8 hp gas and get it to run. Most people say a 10 hp electric would need a 30 hp gas . But whatever works.
If you see one like that out there PM me please.
Keep the chips flying

Quebecnewf

whiskers

Wow can,t believe you could go from a 10 hp electric to a 8 hp gas and get it to run.

I don't recommend the direct drive or the reduced horsepower. They're what I had on hand so I gave it a try. Using it requires close attention, it'll stall the engine if it gets to much of a bite on wider boards. The table has a quick release which lowers it to lessen the depth of cut and the variable feed speed is set on slow for now.

Quebecnewf

Well I put in a bid on the planer. I bid what I think is a low price so I will be surprised if i get it. Hard to bid on something like this just on a pic. There is also the added cost of getting it shipped in to me.

We will see what it sells for and post the details tomorrow......
Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf

Planer sold for 766.00 dollars and change. I think someone got a real good buy. I would have bid a little more but the shipping in to where I live would have added quite a bit to the cost.

Maybe it was a forum member who got it . If so let us know how it all turns out

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!