iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking For A Portable Slabber Around Eastern Indiana, Western Ohio

Started by logboy, November 06, 2015, 10:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logboy

A buddy of mine has a very large oak tree about to come down on his inlaw's property. He's around Richmond, Indiana which is about an hour East of Indianapolis. I'd love to go slab it for him, but I'm in NW Wisconsin and dragging my mill and operation that far isnt really feasible, nor within their budget. I'm told the log is about 60" on the stump, so by all accounts it will be no small job. The first limb is at around 18 feet.  Hopefully I've talked him out of 18' long slabs. They reportedly have a tractor on site to move the slabs around. I believe this is a farm property so no houses or urban structures to contend with.

They want to line up someone to slab it before they go cutting it down. While the tree just recently died, cutting it down and leaving it lay will obviously accelerate its demise. To slab a log/tree this big will take some experience on the sawyers part. It's not a matter of simply doing what you do on a 2' diameter log and scaling it up. You'll need to know how to move and correctly setup a log this big without lifting it, and how to cut and move slabs that are far too heavy to move by hand. I've done it a lot, so if you need some pointers or step by step instruction on doing it I can help. But, you still need to be very comfortable with your slabber and how to make it cut correctly. I cant have someone going over there with a slabber that climbs in every cut, cutting tapered slabs, and the operator not knowing why, or how to fix it.

If you think you fit the bill on this, or know someone who might, please let me know.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Thank You Sponsors!